Serrate or not to serrate? That is the question!

I know this has been covered a few months before, but I'd like to see what different collectors think today. Do you like the serrations or not? I'd also like to see a scan of one if anyone knows where to access one. I may have one of mine serrated and just wondered what the different views were.

Thanks, Dan (Anyone own a "H" stamped large Sebenza?)

Concerning the "H" sebenza, I don't own one but I would expect you will get offers for yours!

DaveH

Dave, I don't own one either! I'm trying to locate one for my collection.

Misunderstood, sorry.

For some knives I like serrations, the short-long sequence that spyderco and others use.

MikeT at 1sks has a serrations machine, it'd be almost worth it to see the look on their faces. "Here's my sebbie, please make it serrated."

DaveH

I just received my first Sebenza last Thursday, a large plain with factory serrations:

L-sebenza-serr.jpg

I was a bit hesitant to get one with serrations, but in retrospect I am glad that I did. I like partial serrated blades. While the serrations are not as cool or aggresive looking as those on my Microtechs, they are just as functional. It's nice how the serrations are on the right side of the blade for the right-hand knife. It seems that all other manufacturers put them on the left side. When I hack on something with the serrations, it makes more sense for them to be on the right side for right-handed people. I am glad that Chris Reeve does it that way.

I too like serrations. They are handy if you ever need to cut yourself out of a seat belt after a crash. Also they are easier to cut rope with. I have also been told that serrations decrease a knife's collectable value.

The serrations, as done by CRK are more efficient than they look. They aren't as agressive as those done by Spyderco, Benchmade or Microtech, but they enhance the cutting action very well and they don't tend to grab like some of the more deeply ground models do.

I sold my last serrated large Sebenza today. They seem to move pretty quick. The small ones, however, are a bit slower to move. I'm not sure why.

Personally, I haven't much use for serrations myself and Chris charges extra for putting them on the blade but I definitely plan to keep stocking the large serrated models, although the jury's still out on the small ones. If they don't start selling better I just may stay with only the large models.

I don't see how the serrated models could detract from the collectability of the Sebenza, if done by CRK. While not exactly rare, they certainly aren't common.

------------------
Dennis Wright
("Have a knife day!")

wrightknife@ixpres.com

I read elsewhere on this forum that to add partial serrations for a Sebenza after it has been born csts $40 ($20 plus $20 for refinishing of the blade). If a Sebenza is born with partial serrations (like mine), it is only $20 more.

And, as Dennis wrote, the serrations work extremely well. Like the rest of a Sebenza, it's not about looks, but about functionality.

I don't feel that my partial serrated Sebenza has any less collector's value (but I guess that is for collectors to decide).

Dennis, I usually find that serrations work a bit better on larger blades, at least for me. For a smaller blade, the actual amount (length-wise) of plain versus serrated blade is less. Thismight be why the partial serrated small Sebenzas don't sell nearly as well as the large ones.

Dennis:
I think that the serrated smalls probably don't sell as well because with the smaller blade, serrations take away a larger portion of the straight portion relative to the one with a larger blade. Also I believe a small Seb can be taken on an airplane but with the serration they are not airplane legal. And finally, people buy the small to do smaller jobs. Oh well just a couple thoughts IMHO.

Those are pretty much the same conclusions I came to, also. The serrated section of the small Sebenza is pretty short.

Everything except the airline thing.

With the airlines, it's not a matter of "legal" or "illegal" but rather policy. Last year, around June, the FAA sent out a letter to all the airports & airlines "recommending" that knives with serrated blades not be allowed aboard aircraft due to the "increased potential for vandalism". It seems that someone at that illustrious organization had an epiphany and realized that a serrated blade would cut through a seatbelt more efficiently than a plain edge. Duh!
rolleyes.gif
Hence, the increased potential for vandalism. Go figure.

Some airports/airlines have chosen to abide by the letter and some have not. You takes yer chances when you fly with serrations.

------------------
Dennis Wright
("Have a knife day!")

wrightknife@ixpres.com

Serrations go through cardboard, rope and certain other materials better than a plain edge. However, The parts of "combo edges" that are serrated seems to be were I want to sometines pare, whittle, carve or otherwise use a plain edge.

Other than two knives, I have made my own "combo edge" by course stoning the entire blade for a "utility edge" and then only fine stoning the forward two-thirds. Works for me.

I and a few others that I know would buy small Sebenza's (and maybe large ones too) if they were _fully_ serrated. The Sebenza's are great knives. But, I can't justify spending that kind of money on a knife and comprimising on something as basic as the type of edge. I'm not going to start on a plain edge versus serrated (versus partially serrated) argument . . .

Unfortunately, I know Chris Reeve Knives will only do partially serrated blades. But, if they change their mind, the line starts behind me!

Bernie

Back