serrations on "flying" Busses

Has anyone with these rather unique serrations done any cutting,stabbing or chopping with these that can give us some info on the effectiveness of this "Busse" style serrations? Or are these more for eye candy to enhance "NUKE appeal"? They look to me like they could improve penetration on Jerry's wide blades? Has anyone found that to be true? Do they help or hurt chopping performance at all?

Hi :) I think there are probably only two or three people that can chime in on this one right now. So how bout it Eric and Fire Horse, used those beautiful blades? :D

Sorry guys, I can't bring myself to use mine. :)

However, these serrations ain't just for looks, after handling it and playing with it for long periods I can tell you they would be very effective.

Eric,

wherever I've seen pics of a Busse with those serrations they only show one side of the blade, am I correct in assuming that those rather large spaces between serations have a serration cut in there on the flip side of the blade, if you know what i mean?

By the way, the reason for my interest in the serations is I've got this notion of a BA-E with those serations, sort of a "flying Badger" What do you think Eric? I know the BA is a favorite of yours and you are appearantly one of the few with hands on experience with a Busse serrated blade.

Hunter
I will try to get some pics of the back of the FT tomorrow and post them. I think it will be easier than trying to explain them.

I think a serrated Badger would look great and probably perform like no other Badger out there. I do love the Badger. ;):D:D

However, I really don't know if it is feasible, I'm sure they are costly to put on and I don't know what it would take to retrofit a badger to include them.
Contact Marc(contender) and see if he can give you any idea about this.

thanks Eric, I'll look forward to those pics. And I think I'll call and speak to Mark some time next week about puting those serrations on a BA. If they can do it and it's not too costly, I think I want to find out if Badgers can fly too!!

There are two different types of serrations employed by Busse.

First, there is the type of serration popularized by the infamous flying tiger. It is located toward the front of the blade (vs at the hilt) angled outwards (away from the blade) and are seperated by quite alot of space. These serrations are intended for chopping, so that the serrations don't get stuck into the material being chopped.

The more typical type of serrations are the ones found towards the hilt of the blade. These are better for cutting thru fibrous material such as rope, hemp, etc. They are more typical, although not typically found on a Busse, except thru special order. (I do have a straight handled Steelheart that has serrations, I will include a link to that pic later).

Jerry does the serrations by himself by hand. They have to be done via a file and are time consuming. As for retrofitting them, that would be very difficult as the coating would have to be reapplied.

Give me a call or, better yet, drop me an email and we can discuss.

Marc (Contender)
marc@bussecombat.com

Mark,
thanks for the info. You said the front serrations were intended for chopping. Does that mean they were designed to improve chopping performance or just not to hinder chopping performance as it would if the serrations got stuck in the material being chopped.

Also, the front serrations have always looked to me as if they were designed to improve penetration with such a wide spine-to-edge blade. Marc, do you have any observation on that? Having never handled one of these blades I find it hard to tell what sort of performance impact the would have on various uses, I just know they look HOT! :eek:

Thanks Eric!

That did the trick. I was wrong , now thatI see the back side it's obvious. I thought there was another set of serrations cut on the back side too, staggered from the ones cut on the front. Ya just gotta love the way those look! Way cool Eric, thanks again for the pics.

Back