Shaman Lock Bar

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Aerosmith101, May 15, 2020.

1. Aerosmith101

Aerosmith101

Oct 28, 2018
    I just carried my Spyderco Shaman for the first time today and the lock bar is insanely strong, to the point that my finger actually hurts from pressing it repeatedly. I know this will solve itself over time but is there anything I can do to speed it up?

2. Julian Williams

Julian Williams

Apr 22, 2019
    My M4 Shaman had the same problem. You can always take it apart and gently bend the lock bar to the opposite side to lessen the strength

3. Eversion

Eversion Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Is the spring tension too high the entire way, or is the lock just sticking at the end of it's travel?

Although I've never had it, some people do experience lock stick with compression locks. I could especially see how it could happen with a DLC coating.

I would disassemble the knife, throughly clean the locking surfaces, then rub some Sharpie permanent marker on them and see if you have an easier time unlocking the thing after that.

I would do this first because modifying the lock bar tension itself changes both your centering and your detent strength. Such consequences should only be had if there really is a problem. And if there really is a big problem with the lockbar tension, I would take advantage of Spyderco's warranty to see what they think of it.