1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaman vs pigmy

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Coopsdaddy, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Coopsdaddy

Coopsdaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2017
    looking for opinions on a shaman vs pigmy for edc,food prep,general use etc.

2. JB in SC

JB in SC Gold Member Gold Member

May 19, 2001
    Pigmy is a nice knife but a little small.

3. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    I have a 3/32 shaman and love it for edc needs the handle is way more comfortable than it looks

Fiddleback likes this.
  4. Coopsdaddy

Dec 21, 2017
    The shaman is my preference but cant seem to find a 3/32 in a package i like

5. Southern Gent

Southern Gent Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2015
    For what you are describing get a 3/32 Shaman. As mentioned the Pygmy will be too small.

6. Tutone

Tutone Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 9, 2017
    I really like the whole Pygmy family. The 3/32 Shaman your looking for would be the best EDC out of the 3. The Pygmy is great for intricate jobs, way cooler than an exacto knife. My personal favorite is the Chief! This thing dosent mess around and it is awesome in hand. Mine is 5/32 but dosent feel bulky because it has a sweet taper. Wish Andy would come up with a huge Chief and call it the “Big Kahuna”!
    Good luck with your search 856E35C5-0C8D-42EC-83E8-3377E8165AF8.jpeg 08B41165-AC6B-490B-BB83-8C970F84C050.jpeg 084DF77C-C39E-465D-B1BE-1C26944762A6.jpeg

Fiddleback likes this.
  7. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2005
    The Big Kahuna sounds like a great idea.

Tutone likes this.
  8. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    we have a ruby 1/8" SFT Chief in stock:cool:
    [​IMG]

9. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Done. I drew up the Big Kahuna.

Nbrackett, Tutone and Wurrwulf like this.
  10. Coopsdaddy

Dec 21, 2017
    Tutone likes this.
  11. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    it's Friday description would read
    Chief w/ ruby burlap(COMMANDO), no liners & no pinstripes, SFT, convex on spalted 1/8" A2 - $210

Oyster likes this.
  12. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    You know, when I drew these up, I was trying to achieve utter simplicity. I had tried this before and failed with models like the Shank. That isn't to say that the Shank didn't please me, or that is is not a great model. I drew it after seeing Gangs of NY and the inspiration for it was the cloth wrapped slip of sharpened steel one of the boys had early in the movie. There was nothing to that. By the time I got done, I had an intricate Fiddleback design. So these knives were an experiment. Phillip and Allen looked at them and sneered. At the time, I told them that they would be someones favorite Fiddlebacks. So @Tutone when you said they were your favorites, that made my day. The idea of simplicity led me to thinking about how complex and time consuming every step on a Fiddleback Forge knife is. Drilling for example. Between the 1/8" pins, bullseye tube and lightning holes, they take 4 times longer than the Cumming Bladeworks USA blanks with their 3 holes made with one drill bit. I began to see that I could simplify AND keep a little bit of sexy design. What I'm saying is that the Pygmy family is when the ideas that became Cumming Bladeworks USA started bouncing around in my brain.

Odaon, varga49, PolRoger and 4 others like this.
  13. Coopsdaddy

Dec 21, 2017
    The 3/32 shaman is the one i want the most,just haven’t found it yet,it will be used!

Fiddleback likes this.
  14. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Big Kahuna inbound.

15. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and aid to help indexing and know where the blade is
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    varga49, tyyreaun, Odaon and 3 others like this.
  16. Tutone

Feb 9, 2017
    This is awesome @Fiddleback‼️ Can’t wait to see it and I hope to score one.

17. varga49

varga49 Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 1, 2016
    That's really nice looking. I use my Pygmy when recycling with my students. I love it, but it's a bit small. I have a Shaman but haven't used it. I'm going to try the chief and take a long look at the "big kahuna". Love reading the story Andy and for what it's worth I also really like my (5) Shanks!

18. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    The BK is my favorite of the lineup, though the Shaman is a cool knife. This is the first one with the index notch at the front. I really like it. The difference in confidence when I hold the thing is palpable. I hope you like it. I'm working on it in my mind right now.

Tutone likes this.
  19. PolRoger

PolRoger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Props to @Tutone ... This might be one of my most favorite FF names :)... Cool to see this design in actual form as well. :thumbsup:

Tutone likes this.
  20. Tutone

Feb 9, 2017
    Thanks @PolRoger! One in Koa would be perfect....

varga49 likes this.