Shapening Scissors

I have been asked by our receptionist at work if I could sharpen a pair of her dressmaking scissores that one of her sons had been cutting wire with
frown.gif

I said yes I would have a go but have no idea where to start, I dont remember ever seeing anything about shapening scissors HELP!!!

I have a gatco clamp system and a Gatstix ceramic rod sharpener. If I need one I can probably borrow a flat hone.

First off if there are large notches in the blades try to push them out somewhat. This will lessen the amount of material that you have to remove.

In any case, I have sharpened scissors before just freehand on a bench stone. Its a lot easier than sharpening a knife as there are no strange curves or anything.

I doubt you can use the Gatco unless you want to change the angle of the bevel on the scissor blades.

Get a cheap pair first and experiment on them.

-Cliff

Hi bagman,

Do you have access to a Spyderco Sharpmaker? If so, this kit can easily do scissors. Stick a hone in the hole that is on the end of the sharpener base, and work the entire edge of one of the blades. About 5 minutes is all it takes to resharpen, depending on how dull they were to begin with. YMMV.

------------------
Dexter Ewing
Knife Reviews Moderator

"The keystroke is mightier than the sword"

Unfortunately I am waiting for the new version of the Sharpmaker to come out before I buy one.

Is the angle just zero degrees ie flat on the stone??

bagman - I think the angle is 12 degrees. It is not entirely flat, as you would use to sharpen wood chisels.

At last word, Spydie said the new Sharpmaker should be out within another month or so. I'm gonna spring for another one - keep one in the house, and another in my toolbox
wink.gif

------------------
Dexter Ewing
Knife Reviews Moderator

"The keystroke is mightier than the sword"

Back