Shapton or Spyderco

Should I get a Spyderco UF stone or a Shapton 5000 grit stone, they are both about the same grit and price but which performs better?

Edit: Or should I get a DMT extra fine stone or plate?

Last edited:
my vote goes to spyderco UF

i never had shapton chosera naniwa suehiro yahiko imanishi arashiyama though

What steel on you going to be sharpening? And what stones are you using now?

I can’t offer an opinion on the Shapton but my Spyderco ultra fine gets the job done. After working the edge on my medium and fine grit rods, the ultra fine rod takes the edge to the next level.

What steel on you going to be sharpening? And what stones are you using now?
The steels I sharpaen range vastly from my mom's cruddy Chinese kitchen knives to my dad's Buck knives to my Benchmade, as for stones I use a worksharp GSS and a Shapton 2000#

The steels I sharpaen range vastly from my mom's cruddy Chinese kitchen knives to my dad's Buck knives to my Benchmade, as for stones I use a worksharp GSS and a Shapton 2000#

Well either will work on those steels. I have the UF Spyderco and a Shapton Glass 6000. Both are outstanding and at least for me, give similar results. The UF is super convenient though and pretty much maintenance free other than some scrubbing to clean it. No water needed to sharpen. Many times I hand hold it.

If you're talking about the Shapton 5000, I assume you're looking at the Shapton Pro stones. Since you have the 2000, why not jump up to the 8000? I don't think its to big of a jump IMO. I go from the Glass 2000 to the 6000 with no issues at all. A few more knowledgeable folks here recommended going from the 2000 to 8000 when I was looking.

Both are nice IMHO ... I like the Shapton Glass maybe a bit better ... but I say that because I find the Spyderco seem to polish at a higher rate than the rated grits ...

It might just be my personal experience with them ... but the Sypderco seem that to equal a Shapton Extra fine type stone the "fine" spyderco does that and the "extra fine" polishes more ...

but both are very nice stones.

Should I get a Spyderco UF stone or a Shapton 5000 grit stone, they are both about the same grit and price but which performs better?

Edit: Or should I get a DMT extra fine stone or plate?
Both. No, for once, I'm not kidding.
The Spyderco is great on some really high end alloys, particularly those that tarnish or rust, and the Shapton 5000 can debur the stainless stuff that the Spyderco can not.

Get the diamond plate FOR SURE if you are going after high vanadium alloys.
So . . . . get all three. Yes, I did.

Have you taken a look at the DMT EEF as well?
OP :
That is the one I ment in my first post..
I also use the little diamond 8000 stone from the DMT Aligner sharpener. It is an optional accessory you can buy seperatly. It is the one with the pinkish colored back plate.
It is really short though. I just use it hand held or in my Edge Pro. It is a PITA to try to use in the Edge Pro, think double back tape.

Back