Shapton Pro 1K, 5K Or Add 2K?

Svs

I'm considering getting a set of Shapton Pro Stones. I was hoping someone with said stones can chime in. Will a 1K to 5K spread suffice or would adding a 2K stone better fill the gap?
Currently I use a King 1k/6k combo stone, but am looking to try a new set of stones out. I'm open to other brands as well? From what I have researched, seems like Shapton is the way to go.

I kind of asked the same question recently, this is what Jason B. had to say;
"The 1k to 5k is fine if you are stopping at 5k. If you are trying to mirror polish the edge then beyond 5k you will notice deep scratches as the polish increases making all imperfections stand out like a sort thumb.

I would recommend the Pro 2k to go with your selection of stones. The 1500 is a nice stone but clogs on stainless and does not span the gap to 5k nearly as well as the 2k".

I ordered the 2k myself, and don't regret it.

Nice! Thank you for the reply gd! Looks like I'll put it in the order. I figure I might as well order it all together rather than buying it separate & paying for shipping.

I was also considering the Norton Starter Kit, but ultimately decided on Shapton as its splash & go, wears slower & saves time by not having to soak!

Shapton stones are very nice and will give you excellent results in sharpening. It will be quite the difference from your king stones.

I would also consider the Shapton Glass 500 and 2k, just received the 2k glass myself and am throughly impressed.

Either way, you will need a diamond lapping plate. The 140 Atoma or DMT XXC are the only two non-Shapton lapping plates I would recommend.

Thanks Jason! I appreciate the feedback. I'll now be looking in to the Shapton Glass stones as well.

If you aren't planning on mirror bevels, there's no need for a Shaoton Pro 2000. You can make the jump from 1k to 4k/5k no problem.

I will say that I like the feel of the Shapton Pro 2000 quite a lot--it's my favorite of what I've tried from them so far.

The 1k and 2k are very different...
20150121.jpg

2k is smooth, 1k absorbs water more quickly.
20150125.jpg

with 1k
20150127.jpg

with 2k
20150129.jpg

completion leather and paste to polish luxor (green/gray/white)
Sebenza 25 (S35VN 58-59 HRC)
20150223.jpg

20150130.jpg

Now with Doug ritter M390 (60-62 HRC)
20150218.jpg

with 1k, 2k, naniwa 3k and finish leather + luxor
20150220.jpg

20150221.jpg

1k is much rougher, 2k is smooth like the marble.
2k removes heavy scratches to give a matt finish, it facilitates the transition to the next stone.
20150124.jpg
20150216.jpg

You can go 1k > 5k .
but with 1k - 2k - 5k you go faster.

@Atoma: Salut!
I just noticed that you are using Luxor polishing pastes.
Are they "hard" pastes that only work with machines,
or do you think it would be possible to use them for
manual polishing, too?

Will a 1K to 5K spread suffice or would adding a 2K stone better fill the gap?

Well let me say this about that :

If you enjoy big O' mirror polished bevels on your blades then to get them you need to work your way through several grits.

If you just want blade edges that are super sharp and are willing to look at roughly ground bevels then no you don't need many grits. You can even power grind the main bevel to get the dull and dings off the edge and then take that edge to the finest stone and put a "micro bevel" right on the very edge at a couple of degrees steeper and viola you have your sharp edge.

I think that is sharpening blasphemy and . . . just too easy :D. I like the wide mirror polished bevels. It's not the easy way but it's the cowboy way. ;)
I go Shapton Pro 1000, 2000, 5000, 8000 (some times up to 15,000)
I've got a Norton 4000 I can sneak in there if I am getting too crazy.

This is all for looks you understand
The micro bevel has so little surface area it is possible to sharpen away the coarse scratches fairly fast with the finest stone. For larger bevels it would take hours to do that so the other stones are required.

Pardon me for using my woodworking tool photos but I already have them and they are easier to see than my pocket knife photos.

OOPS ! I'm answering an old thread. Oh well maybe it will help someone else. Or at least help make the Shapton guys rich beyond their wildest dreams. Ha, ha, ha.

Last edited:
Back