Share a story of a knife preventing injury or saving a life

Good Morning,

I don't know how many of you saw the article about knife attacks in London. Here's the URL if you want to read the article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080720/lf_afp/britaincrimeyouth

Of course they have practically banned all guns their, I wonder if knives are next?

This got me to thinking and I would like to hear some positive things about knives. For example, how one was used to prevent someone from being physical harmed or killed. Would anyone like to share a story?

my ex girlfriend, somewhere in the past, was alone at this bar, and 3 "tough" guys cowards tried to rape her...when she left the bar, after midnight
she had with her a stiletto i gave her, it wasnt anything fancy, had something like master knives on the blade, anyway...she drawed the knife, opened it and wawed against the attackers.
they became scared, they backed off and called the police (that was the funny part )
my ex girlfriend spend that night at the police , they gave her back the knife, the attackers were nowhere to be found...
i was 100 km away when that happened, so thats all i know about the incident

I once got into a real bind hiking in the N. Georgia mountains once. While carrying a heavy pack, I got myself in a place where I could not turn around and go back down, and had branches blocking my path, where a tree had fallen. I used the saw-cut blade on my Leatherman Wave to gnaw through several 1" branches so that I could move forward and up.

If I had tried to go back down, chances are I would have gotten seriously messed up, especially while carrying a heavy pack. The potential fall was probably more than 30 feet. Anyone who has fallen just a few feet with something like that on your back knows what I'm talking about. You fall fast, and you fall hard.

Last edited:
I do that frequently. When someone sustains a significant trauma- like in a car wreck- their clothes get removed. I don't help the person undress, I cut their clothes off. I've found lots of injuries that may have gone unnoticed that way.

Lots of things come to mind, but the one I like to tell the most (because it makes no-one else seem stupid except myself ;) ) is the one where I stupidly walked across lake ice, taking a short cut, and fell through a weak spot in the ice, right in the rather chilly water. I pried myself out of there with a Tommipuukko, a type of traditional Finnish fixed blade knife. Would've been difficult to get out without a knife, or an icepick (which I didn't have with me). Then it was just walking back and getting in the nearest sauna for a little warmup. It was fun afterwards, but could've ended rather badly.

Nearly 20 years ago I was hiking through Point Mugu State Park (southern California) with a friend of mine. We stopped to take a break, and I sat down on this log. I immediately heard a sound near my foot, and looked down to see a frantically coiling rattle snake, that was about 12" long. His body was coiling like mad, but his head was still, and he was looking right at my bare calf, that was only about 8" away.

Needless to say, I was a little worried about that. So, while keeping my leg absolutely still, I drew my Kabar, chopped down and took off his head.

Nearly 20 years ago I was hiking through Point Mugu State Park (southern California) with a friend of mine. We stopped to take a break, and I sat down on this log. I immediately heard a sound near my foot, and looked down to see a frantically coiling rattle snake, that was about 12" long. His body was coiling like mad, but his head was still, and he was looking right at my bare calf, that was only about 8" away.

Needless to say, I was a little worried about that. So, while keeping my leg absolutely still, I drew my Kabar, chopped down and took off his head.

So, did you have Rattlesnake for dinner? Did you boil its head to remove the skin and keep the skull?

Sorry, hiker questions... :)

I was lost in a dark cave one time at band camp. I took out my Mantits knive and opened the blade, maybe you all don't know it but Mantits knifes are soooo awesome that light shines from the blade (and don't forget they also make you larger). I used this light to find my way home...

I was lost in a dark cave one time at band camp. I took out my Mantits knive and opened the blade, maybe you all don't know it but Mantits knifes are soooo awesome that light shines from the blade (and don't forget they also make you larger). I used this light to find my way home...

This one time, at band camp... ;)

Once at the supermarket I was making my way through the aisles when I came upon a family in crisis. You see they had two toddlers a girl and a boy, the boy was a few years older than the girl. Well the girl had gotten a balloon somewhere and it was tied tight around her wrist and cutting off the circulation...you know that nylon kind of ribbon they use to tie off balloons.

It looked like it was put on her wrist in a slip-knot or maybe the girl pulled it tight herself. Her Mom and Dad are frantically trying to snap it but they can't get their fingers under the ribbon and the Dad can't slip it off her wrist so her hand is turning all shades of purple and as you can imagine the girl is screaming bloody murder. The parents are shouting at each other too because neither of them can solve this. I stroll over to them and since they were at one end of the aisle and I was at the other, I had plenty of time to assess the situation and come up with a solution.

As I neared them I said, "excuse me, I can help" and pulled my Spyderco Native from my pocket and flipped it open in one smooth motion. The parent's eyes got as wide as dinner plates but I calmly took the girls small hand in mine and lowered my face to hers and said "hold still, OK?" She stopped bawling and watched intently as I slipped the slender tip of the Native between the ribbon and her skin and pulled it toward the ribbon until it "popped". The whole family looked at me like I was Batman or something.

It was just a splendid cut from a sharp knife. I then closed the knife and relegated it back to it's position in my pocket as quickly as it had emerged. The family expressed their gratitude toward me by paying for my groceries (a gallon of milk and two loaves of bread whoopdie doo!)

as I slipped the slender tip of the Native between the ribbon and her skin and pulled it toward the ribbon until it "popped".

Hmm... I need a knife with a sharper tip (I've sharpened my Delica in such a way that its tip has become rather blunt :().

Dale,
Why don't you tell us a little bit about those links in your sigline?
Thanks,

Several years back a girl in a hot tub got her hair caught in the drain, and as all the men and women (In New Jersey) stood around helpless the poor kid drowned.

Being a Southerner I was shocked and saddened to learn that a pocketknife isn't a part of the cultural heritage everywhere, and that poor girl died because I wasn't there.

If I've got my pants on I have a knife with me. And, this is as it should be.

I was working overtime on the Admissions ward at the state mental hospital. I was checking on a patient, and discovered that the patient had hanged hinself by tying a sheet around his neck and knotting the other end and put it over the top of the closed door. I pulled out my SAK Tinker ( biggest thing I could carry at work) and cut the sheet completely through in one stroke. The patient survived, with no brain damage. Later, they tried to give me a hard time for carrying a weapon on the grounds. Happily, it didn't go anywhere.

Back