Share the Knowledge. *WINNER* BPrepared304 *WINNER*

Ya'll are in trouble now. Gingi is one hoopy frood, and he knows the heck outta some outdoors skills. Better bring your A game!

On another note, turns out May 30th isn't Monday, and we aren't having Scouts anyways, but since I posted the 30th, we will let it run that long, maaaaaaaaaaaaybe even a bit longer until the following Monday. Depends on how I feel on the 30th. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hay Derek, How ya' feelin'? Good I hope. , But more importantly how you think your going to be feelin' tomorrow. Just wondering so I will know if I need to brew some coffee tonight and burn some midnight oil
. Any indications....

The three skills I would pick for my young scout to know if he was lost would be Shelter Building, Firemaking, and Signaling.

The next part that was hardest for me to decide on in this contest was what a young scout would have as a semi-decent survival kit. My thoughts on this went to what do some of my scouts carry. The younger ones seeem to carry more gear than the older ones. Since Derek was generous enough to give us two posts that is how I shall adress this issue. First if the boys only had a pouch, then if they had the gear some of them carry on their military pistol belt set up.

THE POUCH

The pouch this scout carries is the Maxpedition M5 waiste pack. Contents are (beginning at the bottom - left to right) Natural Fiber Rope, compass with magnifying lens, vasoline type chapstick, Scout Fire Steel, Matches in waterproof case, disposiable lighter, Cotton Balls, Charcloth, Steel Wool, Magnesium Fire Starter, Pop Bottle Cap Firestarters, Candle, Hand Gel (alcohol based), small LED flashlight, Cylume stick, Mini Mag Lite, Whistle, Trail Ribbon, Signal Mirror, Orange Trash Bag, Water Purification Tabs, Bandaids, paracord, and (not pictured) some duct tape.
100_0186.jpg

Shelter

One of the first thigs they all should be carrying is a bright orange trash bag. Folded up it is small enought to fit in a back pocket. The ones the Department of Highways uses are really good because they are heaver than most regular trash bags. To use simply poke a hole in the top for you head (so you can breathe) and there you are instant shelter! You can also poke arm holes out the side if you want.

That would be the quick shelter to keep them dry and warm for the night. The next day it would time to put some work into a nice debris shelter. The one I made here required nothing other than what was found on the ground. Had this been and actual survival shelter I would have used a lot of green material - pine branches and leaves to help shed the water and keep the debris on top of the shelter. The shelter should be at the edge of a clearing in case search and rescue aircraft came by he would be easier to spot, as compared to if he was in the deep parts of the woods.
To build the shelter- First I found a "fork" in the tree and leaned a strong pole diagionally from the ground into the split. Next I began to lay sticks on each side of the pole for the roof structure
111_0369.jpg

111_0370.jpg

The rest is simple, just start gathering up leaves and putting them on top. A lot of the leaves will fall through into the main part of the shelter at first, but don't worry because that is good, because you want as much dry leaves in you sheter as you can get because this will keep you warm and dry and off the cold ground which will suck your body heat out. I once read that the right amount of leaves you should have on your shelter would be if you stuck your arm into the leaves it would go up to your shoulder.
111_0375.jpg

Also in this photo you will see the American Flag (you never know what a young scout will carry) flying upside down. This is a sign of distress that would be a good SIGNAL that you needed help.
111_0378.jpg

One of the enemies of survival is boredom. Building a shelter like this will fight that feeling of boredom. It would also be something that would keep the young scout in one place and he wouldn't want to wonder from this place, his new home away from home. A strong word of caution though do not build your fire to close to your debris shelter. If you look it is a giant fire lay. However if you place large flat rocks around your fire and heat them up you can carefully transfer the heated rocks to the inside of your shelter giving you warmth from the bottom up.

FIRE BUILDING

Fire is so important to survival, just think of where we would be today if we didn't have fire. For me practicing building a fire is different than making a flame. If your young scouts only practice firebuilding as having a flame you are only teaching them half the process of firemaking. I see a lot of scouts get the flame and not prepare the firelay or have the extra fuel needed for the fire only to have their flame quickly burn out leaving the scout without the feeling of complete success.

First to talk about ignition sources, ways to make a flame. In these methods you will see me use the frayed parts of a natural fibre rope and charred cotton cloth (charcloth).
111_0307.jpg

A type of magnifying glass - this one is part of a compass. Focus the light through the magnifying glass into a concentrated spot and you wll see it begin to glow.
111_0309.jpg

Wrap it in the nest loosly and give it air and you have flame.
111_0310.jpg

A modern "flint and steel" set. (The striker is also a whistle which you can use for SIGNALING). First set up your tinder bundle withe the nest and charcloth in the middle. Scrape the steel
down the flint rod to throw sparks on the charcloth.
111_0315.jpg

Watch for one of the sparks to develope into a glow in the charcloth. When you see the char cloth glow wrap it in the nest loosly and give it air and you have flame.
111_0316.jpg

Matches in a waterproof case. For me this is two ways to start a fire. Inside the match case I keep matches, the strike plates (torn for the side of the match box) and some cotton balls. Also in my pouch I carry something for chapped lips. I carry the kind that is like vasoline because I can also use it to spread on the cotton balls to help them to burn longer. I'm not going to make a fire using the match because hopefully you guys already have this concept down.
111_0318.jpg

However what I am going to talk about is the matchcase. On the bottom of most of these waterproof match cases is a small piece of flint, when you also have a knife you can throw a spark into your catton ball with vasoline, wrapped in your nest.
111_0319.jpg

When you see the cotton ball begin to burn wrap it in the nest loosly and give it air and you have a nice flame.
111_0321.jpg

The Magnesium firestarter..a bar of magnesium with a flint striker on the other side. On the magnesium side use a knife to scrape a small pile of shavings (about the size of a fifty cent coin). The problem I always found was keeping the shavings together without bumping and scattering all the shavings...the trick is to spread some of the "chapstick" vasoline onto a cotton ball and the shavings will stick to it and not scatter into the four winds. Also magnesium burns hot....but real fast... so you have to be ready for the quick flame. The cotton ball also cures this problem because the magnesuim will light the cotton ball. Once you have the pile of magnesium, turn the bar over for the striker and strike it into the magnesium pile.
111_0322.jpg

111_0323.jpg

Don't forget to wrap it into your birdsnest. When the spark hits the magnesium you have flame.
111_0324.jpg

The disposable Lighter. Three points about the disposiable lighter. One- some of them come with a flame adjustment on the back, some don't and just produce a small flame. Try to get one that you can adjust into a larger flame. Point two - a lot of people try to light a campfire with a disposable lighter and the hold the flame on for a couple of minutes to light the fire only to find that the extended time they kept the flame on has melted the plastic workings of the lighter and now you may throw away of the lighter with the full amount of fuel left in the lighter. Third point is just because it runs out of butane it still can throw a spark, sparks as you know can start fires.
111_0325.jpg

One thing I tell my guys is carry a candle. A match may last 10 - 15 seconds but if you light the candle it will give you 20-25 minutes to get your fire lit. Also in the photo are some pop bottle cap firestarter. Place a cotton string in the cap and fill with wax. When it comes time to lite your fire lite your wick and place the whole thing in your firelay.
100_0187.jpg

Alcohol based hand gel is an excellent fire starter. Squirt some in your tinder bundle and all it takes is a spark to get it going.
100_0182.jpg

100_0184.jpg

100_0185.jpg

As we talked about previously, the flame is only part of the fire making process. The young scout should remember that before trying to get the flame they must have a shelter for their flame to live in to grow into a nice warm fire. Also to grow their flame will need to be fed small sticks then when it gets bigger it can have bigger sticks.

Just like people build a sheter for themselves they will need to build one for their flame. These shelters are called firelays.
By pushing a stick diagionally into the ground and then beginning to build the sides up with small sticks and then larger ones. The young scout will find a shelter much like the debris shelter he built for himself, only using sticks instread of so many leaves. Once built you make your flame place it in the shelter you have made for it and with care it will grow and help keep you warm and safe.
111_0352.jpg

Another firelay is the traditional teepee firelay. Lean the sticks into each other like a teepee and you have another shelter for your flame to grow into.
111_0353.jpg

The third is the lean to type firelay. Find a big log and lay the sticks against it. Remember use small sticks first because a flame must eat small stuff first before it can grow and eat bigger sticks.
111_0340.jpg

Fires like to eat, just like we do. If you do not feed them they die so have plenty of sticks ready to feed your fire before you make a flame.
111_0354.jpg

SIGNALING-

MESSAGE TO YOUNG SCOUTS If you get lost people will seach for you - I PROMISE! - It might take a little while to figure out you are lost so stay put and help the searchers find you.....

Trail Tape is your friend - carry a roll of trail tape - bright colored. Tear pieces and hang them in trees around your shelter. If you have a marker or pen you can write messages on the tape like help ..lost...shelter up the hill or other important messages.
111_0341.jpg

Air to Ground Signals - Searcher will use aircraft to try to find you. Making a large "X" or an arrow pointing to your location. The bigger they are the easier it is for them to see from the air and remember to try to use contrasting colors....and again..Trail Tape is your friend. If you hear aircraft coming and have not had time to make an air to ground signal go into the middle of the field and lay down on you back and move you arms and legs just like when you make a snow angel. This will make you much easier to be seen than just standing there waveing your arms. Remember from high in the sky things lookd different from on the ground.
111_0374.jpg

One thing a young scout should carry with them at all times is a loud pealess whistle. The reason I say pealess whistle is during the summer a pea whistle has been found to sound like the night insects at a distance. Teach them to blow the whistle in sets of three - three of anything usually means I NEED HELP (three words).
111_0345.jpg

A small signal mirror could be worth its weight in gold. I prefer the ones with the aiming device in the middle as they seem to be easier for the scouts to use and it also seems to give them confidence they are hitting what they are aiming for. There is a video on youtube that shows a signal mirror being flashed from 40 miles away. At 40 miles it is faint, but it is there one the less. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8UZEDFkaVw
111_0348.jpg

Smoke generator - At night a good fire can be a signal, however during the day smoke is better. By building a small tripod and using lashings make a small shelf from sticks. Pile green vegitation on the shelf. The shelf should be close to the fire so when the fire hits the green vegitation it produces a lot of smoke which can be spotted by aircraft and ground searchers.
111_0360.jpg

111_0361.jpg

Some of the newer LED Mini Mag Lites (AA Battery size) have a setting that will flash Morse Code SOS. Check the package to see if the one you are looking at in the store has this feature. Just remember these are flashlights that use batteries, so I wouldn't recommend leaving them on all the time and sucking all the juice out of the batteries, but definately if you think searcher might be close.

Cylume Light Stick - Glow or Light Stick - you all have used them on Halloween for safety so you know how bright hey can be. At night bend it and activate it and hang it outside you shelter. It will work even if you are asleep in your cozy debris hut.

This is the equiipment and skills I would want my boys to have and it all is from a pouch that should be carried on the scouts belt.

Last edited:
BPrepared304s Entry Continued Part 2

If the young scout had his pistol belt here is what I would recommend for a few more items.
In addition to the pouch, a metal canteen, metal canteen cup and cupstove - a military poncho with 4 - 10 foot pieces of paracord attached to the hood - a shelter Kit ( a plastic tarp, 4 tent pegs, and 20 foot string) -an orange emergency blanket (wrapped in the tarp), a GI anglehead flashlight, and an emergency strobe.
100_0188.jpg

Shelter -

The Shelter Kit - Tarp, 4 tent pegs, and 20 foot center string. Also an orange/silver emergency blanket.
111_0396.jpg

111_0397.jpg

I tie loops around all the grommets on my shelter materals. This allows for being able to use the larger tent pegs or using hand made shelter pegs from sticks.
111_0281.jpg

To put up a quick shelter using the kit pick an area between two trees. Stake down two side corner grommet loops and then the next set of grommets loops
111_0284.jpg

Next hook the other two corner loops around the stake that is holding the first two corner loops. Then tie your center rope to one tree pass it beneath the tarp and tie to the second tree making a triangular shelter that has two sides and a floor. Stuff leaves beneath the floor of the shelter to give you insulation from the cold ground.
111_0289.jpg

An open type shelter can be made by using two forked sticks and the with the 2 strings used to keep the shelter kit rolled you can also make an open type shelter.
111_0292.jpg

111_0295.jpg

The same shelter can be made using the emergency blanket alone. Extra gromets can be made using Duct tape and a washer. Run a length of tape to the back of the emerency blanket and place a washer between the tape and continue running the length of tape on the front of the blanket.
111_0356.jpg

111_0357.jpg

111_0359.jpg

With duct tape from your pouch you can tape the emergency blanket to the inside of the shelter for added warmth. Also between these two layers you can stuff the area full of leaves. A small fire placed near the open part of the shelter will radiate heat to the space blanket reflecting the heat onto you will keep you cozy.
111_0343.jpg

111_0344.jpg

OR you can spread the poncho out and tie the corners of the space blanket to the corners of the poncho and the snap the poncho together lengthwise, tie paracord around the end and you have yourself an improvised sleeping bag. Stuff leaves between the space blanket and poncho to added insulation.
111_0298.jpg

111_0299.jpg

This is a quick poncho shelter I made. I found 4 trees close by and tied each corner of the poncho to the tree. I then tied the hood with paracord and tied them to some branches above it. A very quick and easy shelter.
111_0392.jpg

111_0390.jpg

Another poncho shelter can be make by tying a peice of the paracord approximatel 3 feet up a tree. The other end of the paracord will be staked to the ground. Turn the poncho diagionally and tie the top grommet next to the tree and the other diagional end to the stake near the ground. The remaining corners should be staked to the ground. Tie off the poncho hood off and tie it to an overhanging branch.
111_0306.jpg

111_0302.jpg

FIRE

The young scout may also choose to carry one of the GI anglehead flashlights. This is a two "D" Battery flashlight. Using the steel wool from the pouch a fire can be started using the batteries. Hold the two batteries stacked like they would be in the flashlight. Touch one end of steel wool to the bottom of the battery stack and touch the other end of the piece of steel wool to the top of the stack. The steel wool will begin to glow and spred throughout the length of the piece of steel wool. Quickley transfer this to you tinder bundle and give it air and you will have a flame. This battery and steel wool methd can also be used with a 9 volt battery.
100_0179.jpg

111_0314.jpg

Another part of the flashlight that can be used to make fire is the reflector - where the bulb pokes through. Disassemble the top portion of the flashlight and remove the reflector portion. Take a small piece of charcloth and push if through the bottom of the reflector. Move the piece of charcloth forward and backward until you are able to focus the sunlight onto the charcloth. The charcloth will begin to glow. Quickly remove the charcloth and place it into the tinderbundle, give it air and it will flame.
111_0311.jpg

111_0312.jpg

SIGNALING

Scouts love gadgets. Years ago in a surplus store I found a SDU - 5/U Personal distress marker (Orange in color). It had a strange battery which had a paste type substance in it - like nothing you could find in a store. One day it quit working but it was so neat I couldn't just throw it away so I put it in a drawer. Years later the internet cameand I found an article on replacement batteries. So following the instructions I broke off the cylinder which contained the strange white substance and kept the end cap. Now I can use the CR123 batteries and just not tighten the cap all the way and it again works. Later I found on ebay a guy who made new endcaps which you could completely tighten again making it water tight.
100_0192.jpg

This will end my entry for the share the knowledge contest. If anyone has any questions on anything here please do not hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
Dang George. Just, dang man.

Alright people, 24 hours left.

Again, dang George.

And the winner is...

BPrepared304

Josh, you had a fine entry, but I think everyone would agree that BPrepared304 went above and beyond. Post up what knife you would like and I will get it sent this way!

It will ship tomorrow, you should have it by the end of the week.

Good entry George and some great info found in your post. Its gonna help out alot of folks around these parts.

Moose

And the winner is...

BPrepared304

Josh, you had a fine entry, but I think everyone would agree that BPrepared304 went above and beyond. Post up what knife you would like and I will get it sent this way!
My thought also well done .

Congratulations, you really did go above and beyond to get this done!

Back