Share Your Most Embarrassing Injury With A Traditional Knife

How about if we adjust the title and see how it goes?

Someplace, somewhere, there is a new manila folder and a file with all the pertinent information...

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Elaine gets marked in her file..and no matter where she goes, they think she is crazy! LOL

Mods will move the thread where they want it. You won't get in trouble, honest mistake and you're new.

Worst knife oops I had was as a kid with my first Swiss Army knife. Pretty little red thing, very sharp. I was probably 12 or so. Was cutting something (no recollection what) and the blade slipped and cut into the base of my left thumb near the palm. I didn't get stitches but just put it in a bowl of ice and water and then used band-aids. I still have a scar there to remind me, but I have to look for it. I no longer have the knife.

My more recent little oopses here and there have been minor cuts that only needed a simple Band-Aid and were just finger tips. Usually from trying to polish or clean a new knife.

That looks very painful. Very sorry for your pain and injury. I hope it heals quickly and you have a full recovery without much scarring.

Thank you, my friend :) Yes..it is/was very painful...so were the stitches....but, I managed to not flinch, my voice did not shake..I talked and laughed and watched everything the doctor did. I have, in times past, given myself stitches with clear thread and a needle, as I have worked in dental and medical industry for years. When I did it myself, I had no pain meds or topical pain reliever, so I wasn't that scared. However, I am sure it will leave a scar as it was very deep..nasty looking. If it does, it's alright..it'll just add more character to my hand/wrist...heh? :) Thanks again for your kindness and care.

I've never cut myself due to the blade accidentally closing.
Sharpening? yes.
Posing knife for display pics? Yes.
Distracted while using? yes.

The silliest one was when I was setting up a stockman for a pic with all three blades open. The knife started to slipp and without thinking I grabbed it. The main blade got my thumb pretty good. No stitches though.

This summer my dad gave me his 8OT to sharpen. It looked like it hadn't been sharpened since he bought it in the 70s. I sharpened it up and gave it back to him when he came over to go fishing with the kids and I. I had just gotten my son a new pole, so when I ran into the gas station to buy the bait my dad tried to cut off the tags. He wasn't expecting how fast it would cut and he buried the clip blade into the pad under his thumb. I came out to find him with a diaper wrapped around his hand (it was the only thing he could find in my truck to stop the bleeding). We ended up in the ER and he got 5 stitches. I felt like a total jerk because I probably should have stressed how much sharper it was a little bit more. I warned him, but just in passing. We never got out fishing, and we were stuck in the ER long enough that the kids and I were late to the Open House at the school where the kids got to see their classrooms for this year and meet their teachers for the first time. We had to go straight to the school from the hospital, so Dad had to come along. His hand was wrapped up like a mummy and he had blood all over his clothes. He made quite the impression at the grade school. We do get a lot of good laughs about it now.

OUCH !!!
That's going to leave a line that a palm reader may make more of than your wildest imagination LoL ... on the other hand ...

Pretty much same here, Frank. No problems (as an adult) when using a knife for the intended purpose of cutting something with it.

My little gotchas have been during the initial clean-up, buffing, and polishing of a new knife, or posing for a photo and trying to get multiple blades open. In other words - playing with it instead of using it.

It got to where it seemed that every new knife needed to get a little taste of my blood before it deemed me worthy enough to put it into my pocket. I haven't cut myself in a while but sure as I type it I'll jinx myself.

...Thanks again for your kindness and care.
You are most welcome. I know you ran into a few elbows and hard shoulders in some of the other areas here, but I assure you here in the Traditionals sub-forum we try to treat everyone with friendliness and respect. It's always nice to have newcomers expressing an interest in this corner of the hobby. I hope you'll continue to visit here.

I've never cut myself due to the blade accidentally closing.
Sharpening? yes.
Posing knife for display pics? Yes.
Distracted while using? yes.

The silliest one was when I was setting up a stockman for a pic with all three blades open. The knife started to slipp and without thinking I grabbed it. The main blade got my thumb pretty good. No stitches though.

oh..you were so lucky NOT to have to have any stitches!

Well said John.

I have had some cuts along the way, but none from traditionals that have required stitches. The earliest was sharpening my first knife, a Barlow. The silliest was when I was showing my ex a hand forged bowie with an 8" blade. She accidentally dropped it and I tried to catch it, note to self don't do that again.:eek:

I do have a scar similar to what you will have from a carpet knife. I installed flooring for 17 years and had several ER visits from that.

Chris

I recently cut myself with a new Chris Reeves Sebenza...not too deep or long, but enough to suprise me because I handle knives frequently and have a lot of them and respect them greatly. Haven't cut myself much, but once every few years I get a small one. Sheesh that is quite a gash you sustained! Heal well! :->

The cut that ticks me off the most is from a bear trap spring, seems to always get the top of my left thumb when opening. Another was making fire with my boys and sheathing my mora I ran it through the web on my left hand, ten stitches later. The best part is my kids think accidents are an adventure they enjoyed the ER.
Respectfully, Chance.

This summer my dad gave me his 8OT to sharpen. It looked like it hadn't been sharpened since he bought it in the 70s. I sharpened it up and gave it back to him when he came over to go fishing with the kids and I. I had just gotten my son a new pole, so when I ran into the gas station to buy the bait my dad tried to cut off the tags. He wasn't expecting how fast it would cut and he buried the clip blade into the pad under his thumb. I came out to find him with a diaper wrapped around his hand (it was the only thing he could find in my truck to stop the bleeding). We ended up in the ER and he got 5 stitches. I felt like a total jerk because I probably should have stressed how much sharper it was a little bit more. I warned him, but just in passing. We never got out fishing, and we were stuck in the ER long enough that the kids and I were late to the Open House at the school where the kids got to see their classrooms for this year and meet their teachers for the first time. We had to go straight to the school from the hospital, so Dad had to come along. His hand was wrapped up like a mummy and he had blood all over his clothes. He made quite the impression at the grade school. We do get a lot of good laughs about it now.

Ha! yeah..I am sure at the time it wasn't so funny, but looking back makes for one of those good stories that is quite fun to share with other people! Kinda funny to imagine the school scene and the kids faces! You probably never heard the end of it! LOL!!!

OUCH !!!
That's going to leave a line that a palm reader may make more of than your wildest imagination LoL ... on the other hand ...

Yeah..for sure! Let's leave the 'other' hand out of it..I need at least one to be fully functional! ha ha! Thank God it was my left and not the right though, as I am right-handed! Usually everything happens to my right hand! :):):)

You are most welcome. I know you ran into a few elbows and hard shoulders in some of the other areas here, but I assure you here in the Traditionals sub-forum we try to treat everyone with friendliness and respect. It's always nice to have newcomers expressing an interest in this corner of the hobby. I hope you'll continue to visit here.

Sure thing! Sometimes stuff gets to me, but overall, I am a pretty tough gal with thick skin ;-) I am not one to give up. I love and much enjoy Blade Forums and most people I have met here. I also put a link beneath most of my articles I post on Alternative Media telling people to check out blade forums... I try to give back what they give to me by allowing me to meet so many wonderful, good people and share my hobby!

I recently cut myself with a new Chris Reeves Sebenza...not too deep or long, but enough to suprise me because I handle knives frequently and have a lot of them and respect them greatly. Haven't cut myself much, but once every few years I get a small one. Sheesh that is quite a gash you sustained! Heal well! :->

Maybe when I am older, I can turn it into some really good story for grandkids..<big smile> The time I was wrestling crocodile bare handed! <another big smile> I'll whip out my large knife collection (the way I'm going, I'm sure to have hundreds at that point...maybe more) and tell them that I was known around these parts as Blade Girl for my ferocious fighting and knife expertise! <not that's a tall tale...> :):):)

The cut that ticks me off the most is from a bear trap spring, seems to always get the top of my left thumb when opening. Another was making fire with my boys and sheathing my mora I ran it through the web on my left hand, ten stitches later. The best part is my kids think accidents are an adventure they enjoyed the ER.
Respectfully, Chance.

Geez Chance...TEN stitches? OUCH! Must've made mine look like a sissy cut! Do you still have that Mora? If so, would love to see a pic of it!!! A knife with a story is always an even better blade....

I've never cut myself due to the blade accidentally closing. Me Neither..at least, NOT YET!
Sharpening? yes. Haven't had to sharpen yet..but now i know to be careful since you mentioned this!
Posing knife for display pics? Yes. Really? I think once I scuffed my finger but it didn't cut or break skin.
Distracted while using? yes. Not yet...but you never know!

The silliest one was when I was setting up a stockman for a pic with all three blades open. The knife started to slipp and without thinking I grabbed it. The main blade got my thumb pretty good. No stitches though. Wow! Gotta love it when reflexes kick in at the wrong time, heh? <SMILE>

Thanks for sharing your experiences...hearing all these helps me feel less embarrassed and less stupid now. I have to admit, I felt like a real idiot! It is not nice that anyone has had injuries..I don't mean it that way...but it is nice to know most all knife users have made similar mistakes and that I'm not alone in that.

Back