Share Your Most Memorable SAK Experience!

After being smitten for the last couple years by the "Tactical Knife" bug, I have recently re-discovered my love for SAK's. I am enjoying reading everything I can get my hands on regarding these awesome Pocket Companions and thought it would be fun to read everyone's favorite stories of how their SAK saved the day or came in handy in a pinch! :D

I am currently EDC'ing a SwissChamp I have had for years, and look forward to putting it thru the paces at every opportunity. I just hope I have enough tasks for it on a daily basis!

So, let's hear some great stories from all who want to share... :thumbup:

I just used a Vic Tinker to change the daytime running lamp in pop's truck. That was a memorable experience because it took me forever to figure out how to get to the bulb.

I really fix things with a sak. A few weeks ago I took down and lubricated the shaft of the elecric motor of the exaust fan in our bathroom.

I have tightened a loose battery cable on a Vespa PX150 when it conked out on me.

I have used the can opener and bottle opener uncounted times.

The knife blade has done any pocket knife cutting job I have ever asked of it.

And I can take it anyplace, its low profile.

I have had a champ for 24 years and it is still a working knife. The most memorable experience was during the time I was working as an oil geologist in the Wyoming Red Desert area...

There was a roughneck by the nick-name of "Bear" and was so-called because he was big and strong like a bear with a barrel chest and full beard. Well, one day Bear had an accident and had gotten some metal shavings in his hand. I offered to operated with the champ. Using the tweezers and magnifying glass, the metal splinters were extracted from his hand. And I had a friend for life....

Those tweezers have also taken out many hundreds of cactus thorns from my own backside during desert hikes.

Just yesterday I impressed the hell put of my new girlfriend. Her bicycle brakes weren't working, so I used the pliers on my delux tinker to cut the cable, reshape the metal arm holding the cables, and put everthing back together better than new. Now she wants one.

StuU said:
I have had a champ for 24 years and it is still a working knife. The most memorable experience was during the time I was working as an oil geologist in the Wyoming Red Desert area...

There was a roughneck by the nick-name of "Bear" and was so-called because he was big and strong like a bear with a barrel chest and full beard. Well, one day Bear had an accident and had gotten some metal shavings in his hand. I offered to operated with the champ. Using the tweezers and magnifying glass, the metal splinters were extracted from his hand. And I had a friend for life....

Another inspiring story. The classics are truly timeless. Obviously he didn't eat you or you wouldn't be here posting.:)

StuU said:
Those tweezers have also taken out many hundreds of cactus thorns from my own backside during desert hikes.

Sitting on cactus is not always the good idea it seems at the time, but maybe that's just me.:) If you must, however, let me recommend carrying a more substantial tweezer. Much as I like the conveniences of a SAK, its tweezer is a little too dinky for serious thorn pulling. I have had better luck with the Champ mini-pliers, although admittedly my experience has not been nearly as extensive as yours.:)

Jackknife. . .what did you use to tighten the battery cable? I didn't think you carried a SAK with pliers.

jackknife said:
I really fix things with a sak. A few weeks ago I took down and lubricated the shaft of the elecric motor of the exaust fan in our bathroom.

I have tightened a loose battery cable on a Vespa PX150 when it conked out on me.

I have used the can opener and bottle opener uncounted times.

The knife blade has done any pocket knife cutting job I have ever asked of it.

And I can take it anyplace, its low profile.

Which model do you have?

We bought a 2006 Subaru Forester this past Saturday to replace my poor old 1993 Ford Taurus (153,000 miles). The dealership was going to switch the license plates. My sales rep came out to look at my almost worthless :)() trade-in with me. He offered to swap the plates for me, but said he'd have to walk back to the shop to find a screwdriver.

I piped up, said he could borrow mine, pulled my SwissTool Spirit from its sheath, deployed the flathead screwdriver, and handed it over to him. He looked pleased at being saved several minutes of scrounging, and switched the plates then and there. :)

okBookGuy said:
Jackknife. . .what did you use to tighten the battery cable? I didn't think you carried a SAK with pliers.

On the Vespa PX150 the cables have a hex head, but are also cut with a phillips pattern in them. For a phillips if you don't have that tool on your sak, the small tip on the can opener will do, or you can use the lower corner of the regular screw driver. My regular sak's are my tinker (with phillips) or my old red pioneer.

Thanks for all the great replies so far!

Sure is refreshing to find a knife that does it's job, and does it WELL!

With all the talk these days about "Tactical" knives, centered blades, lockup, blade materials and so forth, it is great to have at least ONE brand where the focus is actually on Using the knife as it was intended to be used!

LONG LIVE SAK!!!

Well, my most memorable experience would probably be when I cut my left index open with the double-cut saw on my Wenger Handyman. I was making a wooden knife at the time, ironically enough. Left a nasty scar :).

And another would be just last night, when my mom asked for a Wenger Evo 18 for her anniversary, after seeing my Handyman... And my mom just... doesn't do, knives.

I've got a pretty good story - when I was maybe twelve we were out with my dad's friends on their newly puchased land in the middle of nowhere, and one of their dogs had stepped on a cactus. As I was the only one around, I knelt down to take the cactus out of its foot, and put my knee right in the exact same stupid cactus. Spent the rest of the night sitting on a truck bed in my underwear, pulling little cactus spikes out of my leg with those little tweezers from my vic classic. I still get crap for that one, but hey, I never leave home without the knife.

Long live MacGuyver! Just wanted to say that my mom got her engraved Evo 18 yesterday and loves it. And I can't count the times I've pulled splinters out with those little tweezers...

A couple of years ago I bought my dad a Vic Classic. Being blind, it's all he needs, and it was his first SAK and he loves it. I'm always borrowing it from him to use the scissors... I've just recently started EDC'ing my SAK again. It was my first knife, and I carried it, and only it, for about 3 years.

Oh, and I was 12 when I cut myself with the woodsaw...

One time after skining a deer a took the stomach and poped it with my knife releasing the fowlest smell i have ever had a chance to wiff

About a year ago my wife was about to have surgery. Her surgery was on Monday morning and she had left her paperwork in her office. Over the weekend we go to her work to get it. She was able to get in the building, but had not realized till then that she had not been given a key for the hall door that goes to her office. The door had a very wide gap in it, so I used the fishscaler on my SwissChamp to pop the latch open. Without those papers she would have had to postpone her surgery. She was very happy.:D

fruitbat said:
About a year ago my wife was about to have surgery. Her surgery was on Monday morning and she had left her paperwork in her office. Over the weekend we go to her work to get it. She was able to get in the building, but had not realized till then that she had not been given a key for the hall door that goes to her office. The door had a very wide gap in it, so I used the fishscaler on my SwissChamp to pop the latch open. Without those papers she would have had to postpone her surgery. She was very happy.:D

Good thing there was no alarm system wired into the lock. You could have been thrown into the clink for that, and your wife fired.

cardimon said:
Good thing there was no alarm system wired into the lock. You could have been thrown into the clink for that, and your wife fired.
That would have been bad. :eek:

Back