* Steel: circular saw blade.
* Geometry: partially flat.
* Type: fishing knife
* Overall length: 26 cm (10.2 in)
* Length of blade: 10 cm (4 in)
* Maximum width: 6 cm (2.4 in)
* Maximum thickness: 2 mm (0.78 in)
* Weight: 156 gr (0.34 lb)
* Handle: guajuvira (Brazilian wood), pins in brass, tung oil finish and beeswax.
* Sheath: hand-sewn, treated with carnaúba wax and beeswax.

20181207_090753.jpg

20181207_085511.jpg

20181207_090651.jpg

20181207_085201.jpg

I will appreciate any comments.

Thanks a lot.

Do the tail and fins have any functional purpose? I feel a more subtle fins and a tail incorporated into the handle might be more appealing if those have no functional design.

Do the tail and fins have any functional purpose? I feel a more subtle fins and a tail incorporated into the handle might be more appealing if those have no functional design.
I thought of design as close to a shark as possible and functional at the same time. The tail may be used to tie a rope to the wrist, I did not put the handle there because I thought it would be damaged and that part could be used to some stroke, the pectoral fin is for small strokes and work as half guard, the dorsal fin allows supporting the thumb. Thanks for the note.

I bring up the tail and fins as from a comfort view sharp points outside of the actual knife point are typically not something I would prefer.

I bring up the tail and fins as from a comfort view sharp points outside of the actual knife point are typically not something I would prefer.

You are right, I thought about that, the tail has curved shapes to do not touch your arm, without sharped points. To get hurt you will need to fall over the knife. But the design is under test to see if it really will work.

I think it’s a nice “outside the box” design that’s not overly showy and looks to have functionality. I would get one of these for my kids when they’re old enough.

Overall I approve!

Back