Shark Tooth

OK, I had this strange idea in my head for quite awhile now. I got this half a fossilized sharks too from Savannah, GA. It always looked weird having half a tooth. So I decided to play "demented" dentist and fix the tooth. I flattened out the side and inset a matching "frontier" damascus, I guess, mirror image. Though I didn't go as thick as the actual tooth, I tried to match the contours and angles of the shark's tooth. The blade is convex ground, mostly on the front half and angle to match the natural form of the original. The damascus is 3/16" thick at the top and the tooth/blade is 3" from top to bottom and 2 1/2" at it's widest. And yes, it is heat treated and sharp. OK, say it. I'm strange.
shark%20tooth.JPG

Tess made the sheath out of stingray with a rare earth magnet inset into the leather to assure a secure fit, though we didn't really see the need to put a belt loop on this one.
;)

VERY cool J. Though yes, you're strange. ;)

Wonder what user Megalobyte would think of this one.

that is one of the strangest things I've seen in awhile...also pretty cool. :p

I think it's be even cooler if ya cut up some fish with it - a pic of the knife next to two or three cleaned striped bass!

Very cool -- when I opened it, I just stared at it for a long time. You going to have that on your table?

I love it! What a cool and creative idea, it combines two of my favorite things, hunting for fossils and knifemaking. I've never found a sharks tooth but I intend to keep trying. I think you should make more of those, the fossil crowd would eat them up and you can buy partial teeth for next to nothing.

It needs a gun barrel! How about a thong hole? Great way to use up the scrap. Maybe do some tactical ones. As for strange, your already a knifemaker so nothing you could do is strange.....

since i'm on a painfully slow connection for a little while I had pleanty of time to envision what I thought it was going to look like before the photo came up. Silly me I thought you had the back half of a tooth.

J. and Tess, I really like that combo! That little rascal would be handy and looks really SHARP! I wouldn't call your imagination hyperactive, just very creative. Nice work, folks. Your damascus is some of the best I've seen, too.

Wow! thanks guys. I will have it at Blade. I think I just sold it but, I ain't letting go of it 'till after the show. I made this one, because if I didn't finally do it, it was going to drive me nuts and second, I thought it might make folks want to look twice at out table. Thanks for all the kind words and if I can get some more teeth, I'll make a few more. Boy, it was a pain in the butt to make though.

J. Neilson said:
I can get some more teeth, I'll make a few more. .

J I got two I pulled out of My own head myself back a long :eek:

if you don't pull your own teeth you just don't know what your missing :confused: :)
now you guys tell me who's cheaper :D :p

I wanted to edit this
I'm not saying J is cheep, I'm talking about the rest of you :D hehehe :D

Back