Sharp brand knives?

Years ago my step moms uncle gave me this knife. I couldn't find much info on the brand or the knife specifically. All i know its really old, has seen A LOT of action, and has held up great. it may look a little grimy but that's my fault (sliced through frozen bait mackerel like nothin) it cleans up great.

gedc0121s.jpg

gedc0122x.jpg

K-Mart house brand back in the '80s. I believe the blades were 440C, the knives were generally well-made if more than a little heavy. Some of them were wonderfully ugly, but servicable.

I have a sharp Barlow. The blade doesnt close tight . It always cut good.

I had a guy give me an extraordinarily ugly Sharp brand knife to sharpen for him. I believe this one was made in Japan, and had a really nice thin factory edge. It got amazingly sharp.

I got my dad a Sharp brand sheath knife from K Mart about the early 80's, for his fishing box. Paid about $10 and still have it today. I foolishly let the tackle box sit in the rain for several months and got a tad of rust on the blade, nicking the edge a little. But it cleaned up fairly well & I will use it for years to come. The sheath was mildewy. I cut the stitches out, cleaned it up best I could with saddle soap, twice. Air dried, then rubbed all over with Bear Grease. Restitched after it dried. Darkened the leather a few shades but I think it will hold up now.

OMG. I can't believe there's actually another Sharp fan on this board. I used to work at Kmart and bought a very well made (and heavy) model for about $10. It's actually in a sheath next to the bed. I'll clean it up and post pics.

It is good to find a decent product at a reasonable price. Doesn't always happen. Is Sharp still being made?

Nope, the last Sharp brand knives I saw in Kmart were around mid 1990's ish. As mentioned they mainly sourced knives from Japan, and sometimes from Colonial of Rhode Island. As mentioned, pretty good knives for the money.

I have one the Sharp hunting knives in a leather sheath had it forever few scratches on it hardly ever used it still really nice looking [
5bd1614b3e54f477f77e7b3b4672771b.jpg

I have one the Sharp hunting knives in a leather sheath had it forever few scratches on it hardly ever used it still really nice looking [
5bd1614b3e54f477f77e7b3b4672771b.jpg
I have one just like that. A hunting buddy’s two little sons (in the late 70s) gave it to me for Christmas. I took it out the other day, polished it up, sharpened it just a little, as it still had a good edge after all these years. Ordered a crossdraw horizontal sheath for it. Gonna edc this one. It’s really well made, and feels good.

I was just cleaning up some of my old childhood knives the other day. funny as it went into the rotation for the week. Sharp 150 made in japan.

Sharp 150.jpg

Somewhere around here I have a small Sharp sheath knife. Never really used it but I like the shape very well.

I think it's the DF-60 fillet knife.

images

Last edited:
I found a small sharp folder at a yard sale for a dollar. Pretty nice quality knife

I've recently picked up several of these knives and they seem to take a damned nice edge. A couple were in leather pouches and a few are in like new condition. Think I'll start carrying one on a regular basis now, they impress me!!

Several years ago, I found a Buck 110 style Sharp knife on the road. Cleaned it up, and sharpened it. To my surprise, it took a good edge. Have not used it much, so I can't comment on edge holding. I would guess it is about the same as other knives from that era. Probably 440C

I was just cleaning up some of my old childhood knives the other day. funny as it went into the rotation for the week. Sharp 150 made in japan.

View attachment 1052696
I had a couple that were very similar to that. Also purchased at Kmart in the early 90,s I believe. Same construction style and likely materials but the shape was a tad different. I always like those knives.

Sharp brand - at least the older ones - rock!
I bought one for cheap.
Beautiful Rosewood and a blade that takes a razor edge. I reprofiled it to some ridiculous low angle and turned it into a "Super Slicer" that can slice a radish like nobody's business.
My wife loves it in the kitchen - but - she has no idea how to treat it.

I constantly see it spend days in the sink, covered with water. Despite that abuse, the blade is untarnished and the wood is still gorgeous.

OMG, DeadEye, will you please post that pic?

The post was from 11 years ago, but that's not going to stop me from updating this thread in 2022!

Oh man…
I was given my first knife when I was 7…a small Sharp lockback with faux stag scales.
Now I’m going to have to go find it!

OMG, DeadEye, will you please post that pic?

The post was from 11 years ago, but that's not going to stop me from updating this thread in 2022!
If you put an @ before a users name it calls attention to the user by sending him an alert. Similar to how quoting their posts will. Either way it makes sure they see your inquiry.

D dead-eye

Back