sharp maker/convex edge.

howdy guys, I was just wondering will the sharp maker do a good job on my stock convex edge's both Sebenza's 21 that have never been sharpened and only stoped to maintain sharpness, I didn't won't to regrind these two but there really in need of a good sharping a this point! I need to ask this dumb question only because I have never owned a convex edge before, mostly Spyderco's in the past years with there flate grind, I just don't won't to screw things up, any input would be nice before I take out the stones, thank you.

If your factory edge angle falls below the Sharpmaker's ~40 degree setting then you should be able to make the edges on your Sebenza's nicely sharp again with it.
To find out if this is the case color both bevels completely black with a marker and do a few extremely light passes on only the fine white sticks @ the ~40 degree setting to see exactly where the black color is removed.
If you're lucky this will be at the very apex, and then you're good to go.
Drag the old edge a few times extremely lightly over the surface of a white ceramic stick @ 90 degrees to remove the possibly weakened steel in the apex, then proceed to sharpen as normal.
This is what i would do if the standard Sharpmaker was all i had.

Now i've seen CRK factory edges range from ~35 degrees inclusive up to ~55 degrees inclusive, and i've reprofiled & sharpened quite a lot of them over the years, often straight from the store.
Sending them back overseas to CRK for this is not a viable option for most people in Europe.
The thickness behind the edge can also vary somewhat, which can make reprofiling a bit of a challenge to keep things in the aesthetically pleasing range, something not unimportant with expensive knives like CRK's.
If a Sebenza or Umnumzaan is not overly thick behind the edge i like to reprofile to ~30 degrees inclusive, as the S35VN steel with the post-mid 2013 heat treatment has proven to be perfectly capable of handling that edge angle, even without a microbevel.
For reprofiling/sharpening i like to use Paper Wheels with diamond compounds for several reasons; the wheels will not touch the thumbstud(s) when reprofiling the edge to ~30 degrees inclusive, they will create a slightly convex edge, plus i think diamonds provide for a better edge on S35VN than ceramic does.

Last edited:
Back