Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

Coop,

Always love to see your Pierce knives (as well as any knives you take shots of ;)). Congats on that beautiful folder. :thumbup:

Thanks Coop for bringing us all the outstanding photos.
Custom knife collecting wouldn't be what it is without them.

Don Guild is a reknowned collector, and his tastes are ecclectic and rich.

I had the pleasure of shooting a few for his personal collection this past week.

Elvan Allred tutored under Fred Carter, and his styling is getting nicely familiar.

orig.jpg

Matthew Lerch can make an affordable, useful, EDC knife, and now his elegant pieces are commanding the market. On this one, he utilizes his shared patent (with Ken Steigerwalt) on an assisted opener. BOY, it's fast!

Martin Butler is the engraver of note.

orig.jpg

Lastly, the reclusive Lloyd Hale never leaves you without your mouth agape. On this version, he has gone back to some warm, softer, materials using stacked leather and figured stag. Still, you will find his usual abalone in the handle and on the sheath button. (Look for his small mark at the guard.)

orig.jpg

:eek: :thumbup:

I thought I'd show them a shot of the knife in the sheath, because I liked it so much. Nice huh?? Well...... :confused:

orig.jpg

Lloyd sent Don and I a polite note: "Coop, I love the shots. You always make me look good. BTW, the knife is upside down in the sheath. Don't do it that way.... :p. Your friend, Lloyd Hale."

Silly me. :foot: ;)

Enjoy.

Coop

I read that Lloyd Hale worked totally 'outside the box' for many years.
What an amazing talent he has.

I love Lloyd Hale's work:thumbup::cool:. I tried to envision the knife the other way around in the sheath and then the flow of the handle and the sheath match (at least in my mind's eye;)).

Marcel

Although both of these were posted appropriately on their own, I want to refer back to them here. Also, always worth a second look. :thumbup:

orig.jpg

I was as pleased with this image as Bruce was as pleased with his work. :)

orig.jpg

Coop

Every once in a while, I see something that just grips me, and I decide I just have to have one! You folks know the feeling. :D

Gus is from Brazil and has been posting his out-of-the-norm tactical knives on a a few US forums. I spotted one of these and was drawn in.

I emailed and talked to him about a version for me. I have quite a few 'white' knives and wanted to extend this focus.

After discussion I told him outfit it with white micarta and a red liner. Beyond that do anything you feel like doing the pallet is yours as an artist. Run free.

orig.jpg

Well, he took my limitless guidance to heart, and simply had a blast creating an incredible piece. As a new maker (A few years of training?) his skills and sense of design is WAY out there. I say he's brilliant.

By every measure this knife is an acquired taste. Yes, some of it is different for the sake of being different. (That's OK. Refer to Lloyd Hale above.... ;)) The multiple grinds, the subhilt handle, the angles and fluting, yup, they're all over the top. :thumbup:

orig.jpg

The action is precise, and the finish deserves spectacles. Working with Gus was warm and positive, he delivered ahead of schedule, and the whole transaction was AAA+.

Please check out his website to be further inspired:

www.fazsaojorge.com.br

Coop

That may be an acquired taste, but I seem to have picked it up rather quickly. Very cool knife!

Roger

I don't collect folders, but once had a few. My favorites were by Jose DeBraga. This MAGNIFICENT piece feels almost like a Hale/DeBraga collaboration piece in some respects. I think this is just a marvelous folder in every way. It sings to me.

Every once in a while, I see something that just grips me, and I decide I just have to have one! You folks know the feeling. :D

Gus is from Brazil and has been posting his out-of-the-norm tactical knives on a a few US forums. I spotted one of these and was drawn in.

I emailed and talked to him about a version for me. I have quite a few 'white' knives and wanted to extend this focus.

After discussion I told him outfit it with white micarta and a red liner. Beyond that do anything you feel like doing the pallet is yours as an artist. Run free.

orig.jpg

Well, he took my limitless guidance to heart, and simply had a blast creating an incredible piece. As a new maker (A few years of training?) his skills and sense of design is WAY out there. I say he's brilliant.

By every measure this knife is an acquired taste. Yes, some of it is different for the sake of being different. (That's OK. Refer to Lloyd Hale above.... ;)) The multiple grinds, the subhilt handle, the angles and fluting, yup, they're all over the top. :thumbup:

orig.jpg

The action is precise, and the finish deserves spectacles. Working with Gus was warm and positive, he delivered ahead of schedule, and the whole transaction was AAA+.

Please check out his website to be further inspired:

www.fazsaojorge.com.br

Coop
I have been dying to see the piece that you ordered from Gus!! That is beyond spectacular!! :eek::eek::D:D:thumbup: WOW, what a stunning knife!! I absolutely LOVE that knife!!

... view enough of Don Hanson III's work. :D

Always vicious. Definition: Dangerously aggressive

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

These will show up in a few threads. Without question, in a year-end poll as well. :)

Praise needs to be paid for the top-quality leather from Paul Long. Just outstanding!

Coop

Coop, I just fell out of my chair! :eek:

You sure do know how to bring em to life!!!

Thanks, Joe, Paul and Coop!

As always Coop, beautiful shots, beautiful knives but what always blows me away with your pictures is the backgrounds you use, they never detract from the subject, always compliment it.

Wow! That Hanson number. Not that any of your photo's aren't top shelf, but THIS one came out just right. The bottom right veiw of the handle came out great! The guard and spacer sometimes reflect in strange ways, but this is perfect!

One thing though I wonder about. That handle has a weird shape to my eyes. How's it feel in the hand?

I vote for Don's knife as the 'Scariest Knife of 2008'.

The knife that Gustavo H. Cecchini made for you Coop, is out of hand. Well, actually, I'm sure it's in your hand...but, you know what I mean:D You have good taste:)

Bob, I'm really glad you pointed out the Haley dialectic in the Cecchini piece:thumbup: I wouldn't have seen that if you hadn't said anything.

yes, but when was the knife made?
(I don't smoke THAT much dope!:))

Back