Photos SharpByCoop's Gallery of Handmade Knives

Always a treat. Here are a few that came my way this month:

Bertie Reitveld is from South Africa. His mark is on a piece of microfilm that you can only see while looking VERY closely in that little lens. Supercool!

That's his crazy 'Dragonskin' damascus. He knows his grinds, too.

orig.jpg

The undisputed Godfather of daggers: Buster Warenski

orig.jpg

Like 'em folding? How about a D/A renaissance-era look from past Blade's Best of Show award-winning Jack Levin:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I have always enjoyed Kevin Casey's work. He forges his own steel, too.

orig.jpg

Kevin loves a theme. Check this out:

orig.jpg

This was posted on it's own thread, but deserves a showcase look. Curt Erickson:

orig.jpg

Coop

Now that's some wild looking metal!!! Hye Coop....when are you setting up at Blade? I will be wanting to get a couple in your hands as early as possible!

Jack Levin's work is utterly outstanding.

I would say the Reitveld classifies as an Art Knife. :eek: :thumbup: ;) :D

Some incredible steel is RIGHT. Love that Warenski and Jack Levins knives are incomparable!

Peter

I haven't been in the forum for some time and come back and stopped to look at this thread. I am still picking up my jaw from the ground. Awesome!!!!! So tempted to get a custom, but a knife never to use is the question, especially for the price.

Very nice additions to the gallery:thumbup::cool:

That Rietveld is for sale by the way (not by me!!) for $11.000.

Marcel

Very enjoyable thread,some of the best artisans to be had here-an unbelievable number of hours invested!Art in the true sense of the word,including your work Coop-Thanks :thumbup:-Regards Butch

I admire Jeffrey Cornwell from Alaska for his persistence and artful knife sculptures. He knows full well they are not intended for anything other than an exercise in the outer boundaries of cutlery appreciation. I agree.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

This one features the work of three artisans: Barbara Harmos-Loerchner, Wolfe Loerchner, and Brian Lyttle. I bvelieve it was a drawing knife sold at the previous Canadian Knifemakers Guild show.

orig.jpg

Jot Singh Khalsa's orders for this type of ceremonial knife run long. Here is a set that is especially fine:

orig.jpg

Eric Elson is the young president of the Canadian Knifemakers Guild, and is a talented maker in his own right. Here's an example of his work:

orig.jpg

Also from Canada is Jeff Diotte. I took several poses. Which do you prefer?

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

John Bartlow hails from the deep USA west in Wyoming. His folder features an extraordinary set of fossil walrus ivory scales and the engraving of Jere Davidson:

orig.jpg

David Broadwell's MLR subhilt has been posted already, but it always deserves a second look:

orig.jpg

The same must be said about Don Hanson's subhilt:

orig.jpg

Charlie and Harry Mathews (Twin Blades) also make some of the most sought-after pieces. Here is why:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

I got to see that Loerchner / Loerchner / Lyttle collaboration piece in person at the CKG show. Stunning.

On the Diotte, I like the first image better - it gives a better showing of the contour of the spine and adds an element of dimension absent in the "flat" view.

Roger

More super work to enjoy! Thanks, Coop. :thumbup:

I agree with Roger on the Diotte images. The spine view is a great angle for this one.

- Joe

man, this is a long thread that I can't get enough of. Coop, you are the man behind the lens,that's for sure. I really like that Ouye on page 1. King sized super flipper. Very clean and easy on the eyes. He is really coming into his own. I have liked his stuff for some time..as well as Onion, Brend, Hanson, Anso, oh let me stop now as I can go on forever. But I am sure I can speak for all of us when I say....keep up the good work Coop!! You truly have a gift for lighting and placement of beautiful works of art.

Meangenes 99: Thank you. I love doing this, and I appreciate that you enjoy the results, also. So do the makers. :)

Keith Ouye is as fine a gentleman as he is a craftsman/artist. I proudly own one of his exceptional pieces.

Coop

Mathew Lerch is growing in his designs and his desireability. Here's a folder embellished by the very talented Jon Robyn, and has a pleasantly ghastly warrior graveyard.... :eek: ;)

orig.jpg

I loved this set of folders enough to offer him a series of views. Both have appeal in different areas.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

The Twin Brothers Mathews teamed up with one of my very favorite engravers, Jim Small, and here is the incredible result:

orig.jpg

Back