Sharpening a CUDA EDC

A friend gave me a Camillus CUDA EDC with 154CM. I like the knife but it is getting somewhat dull. What angle should I use on the Lansky system to get this knife to where it will shave my arm?

IIRC around 20 degrees per side worked well on mine, but then I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker. On Lansky I believe you have an option of 17 or 22 degrees? 17 would be a bit more fragile, but also a bit sharper. 22 should shave just fine if sharpened properly but would be a bit more durable, and appropriate to the type of knife here.

On the lansky.

Use a 15-17? degree bevel. Mark the edge with a marker (sharpie)
Make sure that you sharpen with xtracoarse orcoarse until you can see that you've sharpened all the mark off at the very egde. Progress to finer stones alternating a few passes per side at the same angle until you get to the fine stone. Then use the fine and alternate one pass per side. If you have an ultra fine stone go to that too.

This should shave (use a light touch on the last few passes). Unless you are using the blade for rough or dirty things (Carpet etc.) 15-17 degrees per side is fine for 154CM.

If it does not shave, marker the edge again and do a few passes on each side with the fine stone. The very edge should have no marker. If it does the quickest thing is to switch up in angle at this point.

Now switch to the 20 degree on the lansky.
Use the coarse and take a few passes per side. You should see that the marker is removed just at the very edge.
Then take a few dozen passes with each stone, alternate on each side with coarse then on down to fine or ultra fine.

This should shave easily now.

You can clean off any excess marker with rubbing alcohol.

If you still have trouble, ask away.

There are much more simple and complicated methods to sharpening, but this is how I do it with a lansky.

If you are using the knife extremely hard, change from 15 to 20 above and from 20 to 25 above.

If you want to be careful, you can use the marker every time you switch stones. It will allow you to see exactly where you are hitting.

ErikD said:
IIRC around 20 degrees per side worked well on mine, but then I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker. On Lansky I believe you have an option of 17 or 22 degrees? 17 would be a bit more fragile, but also a bit sharper. 22 should shave just fine if sharpened properly but would be a bit more durable, and appropriate to the type of knife here.

Just to clarify. I think the angles on the lansky are 15,20,25,30. BUT that is the angle from the clamp. Those angles vary depending on what type of blade you are clamped onto, so what they say is sort of meaningless.
When I said 15 above, I meant the lowest hole, and by 20, I mean the next one up.

Back