Recommendation? Sharpening a Gladius sword vs sharpening a Katana

MTHall720

Gold Member
I can sharpen knives and machetes but from what I've been reading it sounds to me like if I get a practical katana I won't be able to sharpen it successfully with just what I have used for long fixed blades, such as huge Bowies and machetes. If that is true could the same be said of a practice Gladius sword, or would those be more easily sharpened.

Thanks very much!

Eh you could sharpen it without too much trouble. Keeping it looking pretty would be the tough part, but if you just care about sharp then it's not exactly tough. Just understand the stock geometry and use appropriate methods to maintain that. In most cases a small rubbing stone would probably work easiest. It'll put scratch marks ALL over the faces of the blade, but it'll make it cut effectively again. A gladius is typically going to be closer to being like sharpening a conventional knife, but you'll still want to pay attention to the geometry and what it needs to be made to cut effectively.

Eh you could sharpen it without too much trouble. Keeping it looking pretty would be the tough part, but if you just care about sharp then it's not exactly tough. Just understand the stock geometry and use appropriate methods to maintain that. In most cases a small rubbing stone would probably work easiest. It'll put scratch marks ALL over the faces of the blade, but it'll make it cut effectively again. A gladius is typically going to be closer to being like sharpening a conventional knife, but you'll still want to pay attention to the geometry and what it needs to be made to cut effectively.
Thanks very much for your help.

Back