Sharpening A Machete

I need detailed directions for sharpening a machete for a friend. I don't have one and I'm only familiar with sharpening knives. Any help appreciated.

I don't know if this will be much help. I usually use a grinder for sharpening machetes, axes, bush axes, lawnmover blades, etc. As long as you do not get the blade too hot it is fast and easy. If you do not have access to a grinder then a double cut bastard file will work fine. When using a file start with a coarse one to remove stock then finish with a finer file, stone or diamond. I use a wider angle on the edge than knives, usually 20 to 25 per side. I will sharpen many tools the same as my knives(8 to 15) if I am using them. When sharpening for friends who tend to hit rocks, dirt, bricks, or houses the wider angle is used.

I use a file followed by a medium/fine DMT Dia-fold. Just sharpen it like a big knife. Works great!

1x42 belt sander with a slightly worn 120 grit belt. Pretend it's a really really big knife, as that's pretty much what a machete is.

I do all mine on a 4x36 belt sander (a grinder will work). Basically you need to reprofile the edge. Then just sharpen free hand as you normally would any other edge.
Make it sharp but not screaming sharp you'll just ruin the edge using a machete as it's supposed to be used.
Also due to the steel they get MUCH sharper than they feel !

Believe it or not, but I use one of these on my 18" ontario.
TS-KACCUSRPWHT_540.jpg

Someone gave me one of these things for Christmas a long time ago. I knew better than to let it near any of my knives, but held on to it anyway. One day I was about to cut some brush and found that my machete needed to be sharpened. I went to my drawer to find a file and saw the accusharp. It turns out that the POS is good for something. It's fast, effective, and I don't feel bad about using it on a machete. You don't need a razor's edge on your machete and this thing will do just that.(not give you a razor's edge:D)

If you happen to have one, give it a try. You might be surprised.

tmix,

I do something similar when I'm not feeling ambitious. I have one of those Meyerco Sharpen-It's from Blackie Collins that I somehow picked up years ago. I'll use that on the odd machete or khukuri just to get something resembling a working edge on in a hurry. From there you can either put the blade to use or refine the edge as desired.

Back