Sharpening a recurve

A friend gave me his Kershaw Leek to sharpen, and as far as I can tell, it has a VERY slight "S" curve. Up until this one, I've never sharpened a knife with any recurve... if I'm using benchstones, are the corners of the stone the only way to get into the recurved portions of the edge? Are there ways that are recommended, so as to avoid rounding the corners/edges on my stones more than necessary? Thanks in advance!!

If you don't have rounded stones, I would use Crocus Cloth (metal sand paper, wet/dry, whatever you so wish to call it) wrapped around a 3/4 inch or larger wood dowel.

I have a Kershaw Leek, and also use a flat stone to sharpen it, works fine since the Leek only has a VERY slight recurve.

Jason B.

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The best tool to sharpen a recurve is the spyderco profile's, the coners of your flat stone will ruin any curve and can damage your stone. I have never seen a leek with a recurve, more like a mid blade angle change and bad factory grind's. I always used a flat stone on the leek's I have sharpened and never had a problem but they do seem to take a long time to sharpen.