Sharpening at Low Edge Angles

me2

This is a new thread born out of another on steel quality and progress. Part of the discussion turned to the use of lower edge angle than normal, less than 10 degrees per side. It was posed that some sharpening research and references recommend minimum angles of 15 dps (degrees per side). Rather than muck up an already long thread, I thought starting a new one would be better. The sharpening references used so far are Leonard Lee's The Complete Guide to Sharpening and Dr. Verhoeven's paper on experiments in knife sharpening. Lee's book is a great resource and covers sharpening everything from adze's to nail clippers. Verhoeven's work looks at the best way to finish a shaped edge and remove the edge burr.

I'm not sure where the fixation on 15 dps comes from, as Lee doesn't follow that recommendation. To expand beyond knives, he uses paring chisels for wood work with angles of 15 degrees inclusive. For camp and utility knives, he recommends 12 to 15 dps edge angles, finely polished. For kitchen knives, he recommends the unusually low angle (even for me) of as little as 5 dps, finished with a little tooth, say 1000 to 1200 grit in waterstones, or medium grit, such as a Norton Fine India stone.

I've read Verhoeven's sharpening paper and don't remember it being recommended there either. He found in one experiment that going from 20 dps to 10 dps caused excessive edge roughness when ground on the Tormek 220 grit coarse stone, but an intermediate step on the Tormek waterstone essentially alleviated the issue. It is not clear whether the issue was caused by the low angle only, or a combination of low angle, coarse grit, or issues inherent in powered wheel sharpening. Likely it is a combination of all of these. Coarse grit is accentuated at lower angles, and sharpening on a powered wheel at low angles was very sensitive to wheel eccentricity, even with freshly dressed wheels.

It's also worth noting that one of the standards for edge quality was a hand honed straight razor with an edge angle of ~8.5 dps. So, is honing at a lower angle more difficult? It would seem so with powered sharpening wheels. His experiments did not cover the level of difficulty with hand honing at such low angles.

Personally, my edge angles have been creeping down over the last few years. I now run EDC knives in the 7-12 dps range, with a microbevel 2-3 degrees higher to ensure efficient use of very fine finishing abrasives and to help ensure the removal of any small burr remnants from coarser shaping. This has proven durable for even work tasks, such as cutting fire proofing from beams, caulk from concrete, and even light metals for the 7 dps edge.

My most used chopping knife is running around 15-17 dps, with a small microbevel for the same reasons. This has proven durable during yard work, including root cutting and cutting of invasive TV antenna wires. I actually think I could go lower, but haven't had the motivation to lower the bevel angle down to 12.

The down side to running these lower than normal angles is the time it takes to rebevel the knives. As long as the bevels are sharpened with out dry power tools, even digging, accidental rock impacts, and occasional twisting against concrete has not caused excessive damage (deeper than the edge bevel width), and in all cases so far, the damage has been removed in 3 sharpenings or less, except for the rock impacts on the chopper. The steels so far are 1055, H1 (Spyderco), and an AUS-6 class steel, though the exact grade isn't known. I will say, using lower angles like this, one starts to appreciate Spyderco's and slip joints more. There are no thumb studs to get in the way.

I have a similar approach to low edge angles. Mine are convexed but majority is low angle and then slowly convexed for durability.

Over the years, sharpening the same knife, using the knife daily, I figured out the preferred angle (steel preference) that would be very sharp but last more than a few days instead of hours.

Why I tend to go after harder carbons, very steep angles without rolling easily.

You make a lot of good points that I agree with. I've found that when re-sharpening low angle bevels I end up grinding the entire face on one side, though typically at the 2000 JIS level. I put an asymmetric bevel on my Caly 3.5 and found that I really enjoy it--it cuts extremely well and it makes sharpening a breeze, as I sharpen it almost as if it were a chisel grind. You are right, though, that if you get edge damage it will require a lot more effort to clean it up.

I agree that going for a 15 degree per side angle as a standard is an oversimplification. I've found that this angle recommendation applies pretty well for steels like VG-10 in a kitchen knife (ignoring for the moment that even this varies with the way the knifemaker heat treats the knife, etc).

A more precise approach is to think of several variables, including the intended task the knife will be used for and the knife geometry. Some steels just start becoming erratic at more acute angles, whereas some knifes - again for specific tasks) that I have sharpened have been done as acute as 4.0 degrees per side for flat grinds.

Convex grinds are a bit less obvious. You should consider the angle at the edge of the edge as the actual angle, which can be considerably more obtuse than a comparable flat grind. Therefore it will be more robust, trading acuteness for strength.

As an aside, if you make an edge more acute than ideal you can 'back up' with microbevels. If you go to an angle too obtuse you have to do far more work (aka metal removal) to go to a more acute angle.

---
Ken

You are right, though, that if you get edge damage it will require a lot more effort to clean it up.

Intuitively, that would seem to be the case. With my lower edge angle knives, 12 and less, the damage is frequently <= the microbevel, which is to say it can just barely be seen and felt on my thumbnail. It usually comes out in one normal sharpening, during which I remove the microbevel anyway. I have a Cold Steel Trapper, the old one in Carbon V, vs. the "Long Hunter" in stainless. It has a 12 dps edge with 15 dps microbevel (12/15), and I accidentally hit a brick paver cutting some low bushes in the yard. The damage was shallow enough that it came out with one sharpening with just the Sharpmaker. I did have to go through all 4 steps, which I don't normally do. The microbevel wasn't micro anymore, and took a while to remove when I finally decided to, but the edge was back in shape in less than 10 minutes. I suspect either I'm being more careful with the lower angled edges, or the lower angle allows more control, so I'm not banging the edge into things as hard or as often.

This is a new thread born out of another on steel quality and progress. Part of the discussion turned to the use of lower edge angle than normal, less than 10 degrees per side. It was posed that some sharpening research and references recommend minimum angles of 15 dps (degrees per side).

In my experience, 15 dps is about the maximum. Under 12 dps and the edge might be a bit thin for hard use, depending on the steel. For me the sweet spot is right around 26. It seems a bit crazy to think that a few degrees per side could make a big difference but it absolutely does.

I just received a Dozier personal knife that I expected to have a relatively thin edge bevel and an acute edge angle. The blade is less than 3 inches long, so it's not designed to be a chopper.

I was surprised that it came with a 40-degree inclusive edge and edge shoulders 0.022 inches wide. I have Spydercos with more aggressive edge geometry than that.

The knife is beautifully done, with a high degree of fit and finish, but I was disappointed in how Dozier's legendary D2 performed in Ankerson's tests, and now I'm disappointed in the edge geometry.

Anyone know why Dozier would fall back on a pretty standard geometry for his small-knife edges?

Twindog, I think because most people abuse their knives and cannot re profile an edge. Sending out thin edges would likely cause upset customers?

Twindog, I think because most people abuse their knives and cannot re profile an edge. Sending out thin edges would likely cause upset customers?

You're probably right, HwangJino. I just thought that people paid a premium for a Dozier knife because of the heat treat and high-performance geometry.

The Dozier I tried had a similar edge angle, but it was thinner, about 0.015" IIRC. An edge angle like that is something I reserve for scraping and other high lateral load activity. Heavyhanded has inspired me to try my chopper at 10 dps, though that will require regrinding the primary again, in order to thin it enough to make sharpening time reasonable.

The Dozier I tried had a similar edge angle, but it was thinner, about 0.015" IIRC. An edge angle like that is something I reserve for scraping and other high lateral load activity. Heavyhanded has inspired me to try my chopper at 10 dps, though that will require regrinding the primary again, in order to thin it enough to make sharpening time reasonable.

An edge angle of 0.015 would be a lot better and more in line with what I was expecting. My old Sebenza is 0.017 inches. This Dozier is a hollow ground blade and the blade itself is fairly thin. I expect that if I reprofile the edge to 15 dps, the width of the edge shoulders will be much thinner. Most of my disappointment is in having to change the geometry of a Dozier knife to bring out its potential.

An edge angle of 0.015 would be a lot better and more in line with what I was expecting. My old Sebenza is 0.017 inches. This Dozier is a hollow ground blade and the blade itself is fairly thin. I expect that if I reprofile the edge to 15 dps, the width of the edge shoulders will be much thinner. Most of my disappointment is in having to change the geometry of a Dozier knife to bring out its potential.

Wouldn't the thickness at the shoulders of the edge be greater if you lowered the bevel angle, moving the width of the bevel further up the blade?

Wouldn't the thickness at the shoulders of the edge be greater if you lowered the bevel angle, moving the width of the bevel further up the blade?

Yes, on a flat grind. When I reprofiled my ZT 0560CBCF to 15 dps, the edge shoulders became thicker to an insane 0.043 inches.

But that won't happen on a hollow ground blade like this. The edge shoulders are actually thicker than the blade just to the spine side. I haven't done it yet because I'm still trying to decide whether I should just sell this knife or reprofile it. I don't want to reprofile it if I'm going to sell it because most buyers would consider a non-factory, high-performance edge to be a degradation of the knife's value. Go figure.

By making the edge more acute, I'll be grinding into the edge shoulder and moving the edge shoulder into thinner stock.

I'd be a bit reticent (word of the day!) to work a chopper to anything under 26 or so (13dps). If you could guarantee the trajectory of your chop every time, and no knots etc, a 20 inclusive would be pretty impressive as a chopper. In practical terms I can't bring myself to go much under 30. EDUs go to 24-26.

Going back to the Lee book as a reference, he recommends felling axe edge angles as low as 10-12 dps. Granted, he does qualify it by saying clean (knot free) green wood, but still. In any case, challenge accepted. We'll see what happens.

Back