Sharpening Choil

Technically, a triangular choil notch would be a severe stress riser and could cause the blade to break there in heavy use.
In practicality, it would not be an issue unless the knife will see heavy chopping or rough use.
You take my words literally:D
You can not make real triangle with sharp edges even if you want with angle grinder cut off disk ....There will be radius .......... enough :) I was thinking on something like this ..........
SLJfThE.png

I get what you are saying.

What has to be watched for is making a general statement tat a non-experienced maker will read and repeat what you said. They might take a triangle file and make a perfect triangle ... thinking it was the best choil possible.

Choils are the work of the devil. I hate them with a passion and never use them on my blades. They catch on thin stuff and collect deer hair and limit the cutting ability of the most important area of a blade. You can see folk having to deliberately avoid the area near the handle when using the larger "survival" knives on various shows. It's like fitting slick tires to your 4x4 as they don't drop mud on your drive!
Treat the sharpening process as another blade grind and equalize the micro plunge cuts. If you can't do this perhaps knitting is a better pass time for you:eek:
I get the Knives Annual every year and dismiss every knife with a choil. A shrinking minority of models without them generally indicate makers who have actual knife use experience,
I think these abominations were largely the fault of Sheffield. I lot of American knives of the Bowie era did not have a choil as the makers were closer to the action and customers' advice. The majority of Sheffield produced Bowies had choils as they had no idea of knife use.
I'll put on my tin hat and wait in the trench;)

Back