Sharpening Delta 3v

still an amateur, but I know what I like!

Did you actually take it down to 15 degrees using a belt sander or a guided system? You also said convex edge, so I guess by hand?

Did you actually take it down to 15 degrees using a belt sander or a guided system? You also said convex edge, so I guess by hand?

FYI my UF was profiled by Nathan to 15 DPS and he recommended that profile for less do it all and more performance oriented duties. I can't remember the exact wording in the email off the top of my head but suffice to say he shipped a UF @ 15 DPS.

TBH, I'd be very nervous at attempting 15 degrees with very amateurish sharpening "skills" and fresh diamond stones on a guided system. Of course, this is all theoretical talk for now.

^ the most logical route for a rested and more at peace state of mind :thumbsup:

I sharpen my own D2 skinner at 13 DPS. That's pretty fragile so you don't want to clack it on stuff.
D2 at the hardness you produce, taken to that angle, must cut through tissue like a band saw. I get a lot of satisfaction from being able to cut with so little effort.. it's like opening a zipper.

From my experience with D2 in other knives, the larger carbides pull out quickly with such an acute edge. Normally I don't get quite that aggressive, but If I do, it's usually with a CPM type.

I have not had to sharpen my D2 EDC, but perhaps I will narrow it a bit.

SP #400 (30 +/- 2.0 μm) arrived yesterday. Not D3V but I would expect the same results in a shorter amount of time this being 4V. Dulled the edge against the stone to see how fast #400 would cut, it only took 40 or so passes per side to obtain a lightly sticky, working edge. Little to no slurry. Finished on the SPS II #3000 (4.0 +/- 0.5 μm).

IMG_20170802_120211_edit1.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome back Adam. Please feel free to share and share alike. To what edge degree are you free handing and are you using a guide or just eyeballing?

I cannot find my MinoSharp guides right now (they are still boxed up somewhere), but I freehand by eye 9 times out of 10. As to how I ballpark a desired angle, I first establish a baseline (taking into account the +/- 0.2 stated accuracy of the meter)...

IMG_20170802_122857_edit.jpg

...before establishing the distance I need to raise the spine above the stone to achieve the desired angle. For this session, I was in the 11-12 dps range...

IMG_20170802_123027_edit_edit.jpg

...and raised the spine for two passes per side on the #3000 for a ~15 dps micro.

Last edited:
Where do you even get phone books these days? They stopped sending phone books in my direction a few years back :)

Maybe back around 2014 I ran by an apartment building where they had a stack of them for tenants and took probably 6. I keep them just for testing sharpness. Should be a lifetime worth!

Where do you even get phone books these days? They stopped sending phone books in my direction a few years back :)

Stop by any minority / immigrant type of corner market in LA and you will still most likely be able to find phone books or something very similar. Some of the older folks from the minority denomination still refer to phone books and Yellow Pages type of advertising. I kid you not!

Back