sharpening easiest

what is the easiest device to sharpen knives, that gets the suckers good

Last edited:
Well a pull through sharpener, though I don't recommend them. Takes off two much metal, questionable edge.
Then a motorized knife sharpener, but word of mouth says only the most expensive are worth anything. Not sure how they handle EDC knives.
Worksharps are fast, as are belt sanders. But they work too well and if you don't know what you are doing, you may take off two much metal.
Stick set ups like Spyderco Sharpmaker are easy to set up. Not great for setting a new bevel, no flexibility in choosing angles, and it is questionable what angle you really have them set to
Complex jigs like Edge Pro and Wicked Edge are precise, but eat up space, are expensive before you upgrade the stones, and take time to set up.
Freehand is quick and easy with the right stones, if you know what you are doing. Very subject to human error and it takes time to learn to hold an angle throughout the process. OTOH you have the largest selection of abrasives/stones, fast and portable set ups, and have the least limitations on blade geometry.

All in all, probably the Sharpmaker or its like.

thanks i have tried for years hand sharpening I can't get it, I need something I can set up. Ill probably get the Spyderco is that seem right.

I think maybe wicked edge is probably the easiest from what the people who have them suggested. But it's expensive. kme is easy with knives that have a flat to clamp onto. Else full flat grinds are harder to get the right angle on both sides. Edge pro is more advanced and has more learning curve but I feel can do more than the other two because the knife isn't clamped. But not everything is documented so you have to figure things out depending on the knife geometry.

In any case they all work similarly in that you sharpen one side to a bur and then the other. It's not all cut and dry easy on all knife geometry.

The work sharp has a learning curve too and only has limited belt choice. But comes with a guide or can be upgraded to the belt grinder. The belts only do.convex edges where as the others make a v edge.

Sharpening by hand on stones can be fairly easy, but keeping angels precise can be difficult to some.

The sharpmaker is good and easy too. The rods only have two angles but you could also angle your wrists slightly to change the angles if needed. But ceramic isn't idea for high Vanadium steels, mostly for 1000+grit. They do offer diamond and cbn rods on 400 grit for easier re profiling.

All of the systems have tricks to them that you’ll run across. No matter what you get, prepare yourself to watch a bunch of YouTube videos and have a learning curve.

I use freehand on stones, but it has probably the longest learning curve. I only recommend it if you want to practice it enough to get the skill.

Reactions: Mo2
I like the DMT aligner kit as you can keep the angle precise therefore not taking as long as freehand.
However, I just bought the paper wheels because doing it by hand just takes too long. There is a sticky on them in the maintenance and tinkering section of the forum.

Some Post Office mailing boxes and some labels addressed to Razor-Edge-Knives (a sharpening service offered by one of the members here).

Back