Sharpening for money

How much should I charge for a MIRROR POLISHED, KATANA like edge? I was thinking close to 10-15 dollars per knife depending on what shape the edge is in, but I don't know much about charging

Things change when you sharpen for the general public. But if your confident enough in your skills to do so more power to you.

Pricing is another matter which depends on the time, logistics and materials needed to accomplish the task. If your spending an evening polishing a small folder on an Edge Pro or Wicked edge $20.00 minimum is what I charge.

I'm not a DMT user so I can't comment on the time factor involved. $1.50 to $2.00 and inch is my thought.

What if I am using dmt diamond stones all the way up to 3 micron and then strop it until it is mirrored?

You'd have to find customers for whom that has any meaning. Most people just want a sharp knife and will begin to glaze over if you expand too far on that. Locally the price for machine sharpening can be as low as $.50 an inch. Average rates tend to be $5-$7 for an average size knife, $10 for a larger pattern, serrations maybe $3 extra.

You could charge double that perhaps for a good freehand-sharpening, assuming it meant something to your customer.

That's the rub OK. Finding a market for something like that. Average folks don't care. They just want a sharper knife. Maybe 3 percent of my customers actually ask questions regarding methods and technique.

As mentioned, there is Sharp, then Super Blah Blah. Not making fun of you or anyone else.

I have two levels, One for Joe Q Public, another for people that really want the finest.

Where do you live? Are you just taking stuff in to do in the evenings & weekends?? what level do you want to operate at?

Seems $1 per inch is popular when I ask sharpeners.
Though I sharpen my own, I sharpen foe my coworkers, 1 knife = my choice of beer.

I'm always buzzed by the end of the night at work haha.

Seems $1 per inch is popular when I ask sharpeners.
Though I sharpen my own, I sharpen foe my coworkers, 1 knife = my choice of beer.

I'm always buzzed by the end of the night at work haha.

Now that sounds like a good nights work 🍻

Back