Sharpening Help

I've never had any trouble sharpening my knives using normal whetstones, until recently. It seems (and I know this sounds weird) as if the right side of the edge is always sharper than the right.Using the old reliable thumb test, one side of the edge is razor sharp, the other..well, not. I am carefull about the proper degree and so on. Have I somehow got into a bad habit I can't identify? Is it the stone? The steels (all new type steels+a few damascus) Which reminds me, are damascus sharpened differently than non-damascus? I'm stumped. Help!!!

Dave

Correction: I meant, the right side seems sharper than the left.

Any suggestions? I mean, other than figure it out, ole boy?

Thanks,

Dave

Very interesting.

I have found in the last five years that the burr seems to be allot harder to get rid off.

I think is is because of some of the new exotic steels that are becoming available and also the fact that I believe we are all sharpening at lower angles.
If you are getting a burr on both sides, your technique is still 'right on'

Also I have a hunch that someone might confirm or deny.

Crock stick sharpeners tend to deform the metal more than hones.
Hones seem to cut, the ceramic seems to rub.
Its very hard to put into paper but I get hardly any burr when I use progressively finer sharpening stones.

When I use the ceramic stick,( 800 grit I believe ) the burr seems thicker and is always a bitch to get off.

Back