sharpening in the field

so how can you sharpen your knife in the field?

this cut down corona carbide sharpener will handle axes, machetes and knives, and will give a great spark from your fire steel.

http://knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/785425/post/new/#NEW

i have a couple of these i bought at lowes in the garden section, i am going to cut one of two down add some scales, looks like a great mod to attach to your firesteel.

alex

I'll be picking up one of these (along with a new knife) after tax time.
sharpener_rrk.jpg

From the website:
Simply place the Redi-Edge Sharpener's flat side downon any firm surface and draw your knife back through it....The Redi-Edge Tactical Pro also features a hardened ceramic honing surface chemically bonded to its anodized aluminum handle. Use it like a wet stone, it won't wear off...and check out the bottom edge, there's a V-groove for sharpening fish hooks and needles.

I recently purchase a Fallkniven diamond stone (the D4 I think:rolleyes: ) It's very thin and easy to stow. Works wonders on all my blades including the blades I have in D2 steel.

I also carry some sandpaper in different grits. Usually 400, 600, and 1000 will do. Takes up very little space, and again, works well on my blades (especially convex grinds)

so how can you sharpen your knife in the field?

this cut down corona carbide sharpener will handle axes, machetes and knives, and will give a great spark from your fire steel.

alex

I was looking at one of these yesterday how well do they work? should i include another sharpener for fine sharpening? I usually pack a small ceramic rod in every kit.

i have used one of these for a while, bought it at lowes in the garden section, it will give you a utility edge, up to shaving sharp in my experience, with the modifications i think it could be a nice addition to a firesteel and be used for both sparking and sharpening, you could hang this around your neck with the fire steel and a neck knife and have a good kit to start with.

alex

I carry a lansky dogbone sharpener for knives, but often use sand stone on the machete and it works fine if the edge isn't to nicked up.The wet stick and sand or bits of rock powder works to a degree but not as well for me.

If your edge is damaged enough, you'll have to use a coarse stone, but I carry you simple hardware store pocket stone.

When backpacking, I carry a DMT Diafold or a two-sided strop (coarse and fine), or both. In a pinch, I have used cardboard coated with very fine dirt as a strop.

DMT fine grit folding minisharp with a piece of medium grit emery cloth cut to the same size and folded inside.

Back