Sharpening my Sebenza: Anyone else have problems?

I have never been able to get my small Sebenza nearly as sharp as one of my many other knives. No matter the blade steel, I have always found success, except when it comes to this BG-42 stuff...

I use a Spydie 204 (was a 203 in the past) to sharpen all of my knives. I prefer to sharpen only with the coarser brown rods and to strop on a variety of home-made strops. Just a few strokes on the 204 will suffice for almost any knife I have, and will result in a "hair-poppin" (is that an over-used term or what
smile.gif
) edge. For some reason, I can never get my Sebenza this sharp, and I've never had much luck with edge holding with this knife.

I've tried any combination of stones in the 203/204, I've tried steeling, stropping on loaded and unloaded strops...you name it. It's been an ongoing struggle for the past 2 years. I've back-beveled the edge with the 204 to no avail. I routinely use a black marker to verify that I'm really working the edge of the blade. Nothing helps.

I have noticed on occasion that there appears to be a very fine wire edge on the blade, too fine to feel, but visible in VERY bright light. Stropping lightly on an unloaded strop just seems to break this edge off and leave me back where I started. I suspect that I've always had a problem with this wire edge, hence the miserable edge-holding.

Any hints, tips, tricks, ideas? I love the construction and design of this knife, but it's usually the dullest knife in my collection. This is obviously not the experience of the rest of the CRK fans, so I suspect that my case is the exception. Is it a matter of technique, or is this some characteristic of BG42 that I am not prepared to deal with?

BTW, I once sharpened it using the Razor-Edge guides and stones. I think the bevel angle was around 19-20 degrees and it was amazingly sharp....until I cut open a cardboard box. Right back where I started.

The bulk of my sharpening experience is with ATS-34, O1, 440C, ATS-55, GIN-1, AUS-8, and L6. I've never had any great difficulty getting any of these steels to respond to my efforts. Why is this the one blade that continues to confound me?

Greg,
I think you should send it to Chris to have a look at and sharpen, and test. It should hold an edge after it is sharp. Perhaps the heat treat has been altered in some way.
Whatever, if you have had it this long, and can sharpen other knives but not this one, I would think it is time the maker took a look.
JMOHO

Back