Sharpening oil

I generally like to use water with a little dishwashing soap added to knock down the surface tension and wet out the surface. I do use oil at times including WD-40 and/or Break Free. Keeping the metal that is removed from the blade out of the surface of the stone allows it to cut better in my experience and it doesn't much matter what you use to do this with on a Norton India stone in my experience. I always wrap my India stone in paper toweling after use to keep it clean and absorb any left over oils after it is cleaned. I use 3-1 machine oil a lot because it is cheap and available anywhere here in the boonies.

Ed

You need some sort of oil on an India stone. The best is a mix of a good sharpening oil (Norton or pure mineral oil) and kerosene. I have been happy with a thin oil, like Marvel Mystery oil.
I have had stones gum up on me when using 3 in 1 oil.
I have multiple sets of stones, and prefer water on natural stones, like Arkansas stones.
I use some of my stones on knife blades and others on tools. I really like oil stones with oil better for wood working tools.
Spyderco ceramic stones work best dry, in my experience.

Back