1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED! Live stream of the winners being picked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ6xurJWkhs

Hey folks! We're having a Becker Giveaway over in the Giveaway forum, check it out and have a chance to win a free Becker 4 Machax, Becker 5 Magnum Camp, or Becker 15 Short Trailing Point!
  3. Hey folks! We were alerted to a bug where several hundred members somehow got permanent paid memberships. We're going through and correcting that now. Somehow some of you somehow got yeaaaaaaars of free memberships, and, well, it happens. If your membership accidentally is turned off please post in the Service & Support forum thread with your transaction ID and I'll fix it

Sharpening recommendations

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Murman, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Murman

Murman Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2015
    who do you recommend? I've heard good things about ban tang but he hasn't been on BF since April 1 and a guy was having trouble getting his knives returned after waiting 9 mo. No slam on Ban just want makes me leary of sending anything off.

2. Busto

Busto KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 26, 2011
    Ban is Like Busse...He gets slammed with work on sharpening and profiling because he does great work. He also Makes knives so trying to squeeze in extra work for a one man shop causes delays. Try emailing with what you want done to see how much time it will take and if he has room in the schedule. It will come back STUPID SHARP!!!!

3. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Try Josh at Razors Edge ,, he's on here a lot. Heard nothing but good things about his work.

Aias likes this.
  4. Ratman79

Ratman79

Jan 5, 2016
    +1 for Josh, great guy, great work ^^

5. zombieassassin

zombieassassin Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Josh is an awesome guy to deal with hands down.
    Ban actually has responded to every email I sent him recently and is who I am sending my Short Butaniku to for that hair whittling, atom splitting convex edge.
    Also a few other HOGS here do great work from what I hear.
    If it is a user blade, I just recommend sandpaper with a forgiving backer like a mousepad or thin sheet of rubber. Hope this helps. Tinfoilhattimmy can help more with the diy method.

Murman likes this.
  6. Murman

Nov 11, 2015
  7. Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    You mean he's actually out working on knives rather than spending time here? lol. I think sometimes we forget there is a lot to do outside of being online all the time.

8. adamlau

adamlau Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 13, 2002
    FYI, Josh quoted me a two month turnaround a couple of weeks ago. So be willing to wait...

Murman likes this.
  9. Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    I'm willing to wait 2 weeks, that it... :D

10. Salival

Salival

Apr 9, 2014
    Josh is top notch.

11. F'lar

F'lar Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Ndocyk has done some very fine work for me on several blades. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Tybraucht likes this.
  12. COPIUOS

COPIUOS Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2015
    I have a handful of knives out to Ndocyk and expecting nothing but greatness based on what I have seen. Very easy guy to talk to and explain your ideas, he definitely reassured me over the phone that he understood what I was going for, and of course, I left him freedom to make decisions based on what he sees as he works.

His process seems to leave as much steel on as possible while drastically enhancing performance, which is what I was going for.
    C

F'lar likes this.
  13. Tybraucht

Tybraucht

May 29, 2015
    Ndocyk is awesome! Very very good work...

14. nydude

nydude Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Ban seams like a wizard... you may ever know the ways!

That said, I treat most of my blades on a butchers steel or small ceramic rod. the ergonomics are different than a chef's knife and I'm not great at getting the belly or tip of a knife yet, but I know I'm not taking much material off, so I keep trying, and generally get a good edge through most of the blade. Eventually I hope to get the wrist twist to a point where the whole thing can be screaming sharp.