1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharpening S90v blades more efficently?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by wizzer, May 17, 2018.

1. wizzer

wizzer

Jun 23, 2016
    Hey y'all, I am looking at increasing my batch sizes and don't love the idea of stoning 10-20 knives a day.

I have been working with S30v quite a bit lately and have been "roughing" the edge in on a belt then finishing on diamond stone. I am pleased with the results but would like to find a more efficient way to go about it on a more demanding steel.

I know this isn't a steel that sharpens easily and I want to send them out to the customers very sharp so they don't have to touch up before use. I love getting the emails and text messages about the knives I ship being the sharpest the customer has ever received.

Are you starting on a belt (ceramic?) then finishing on diamond wheel? I am willing to spend a little bit of money to get set up with a more efficient method.

2. skillgannon

skillgannon

Apr 27, 2009
    I have a s110v v spyderco pm2. I think they are simular . I bevel on the grinder with a 220 then 400 - 800 belts. Then a minute or 2 on diamonds followed by a spyderco grey bench stone then stropped. I realy like the spyderco stones because they cut almost as good as diamonds but feel like your on a stone It's quick and easy and works on all my super steels .

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  3. samuraistuart

samuraistuart KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 21, 2006
    You may have more input in the “maintenance, tinkering, ..... “ sub forum. There are guys there that have a lot of good experience.

4. Kevin McGovern

Kevin McGovern KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 31, 2015
    I've just recently workrw with s30v and 4v. I set the edge with a 120 ceramic, then norax belts in 65, and 30. Finish by stropping with a leather belt on the grinder loaded with green chrome compound.

wizzer and valknut like this.
  5. stezann

stezann

Apr 13, 2011
    I'd strongly suggest to have a look at Nathan's belt sharpening setup. He does all under coolant, very quickly
    Minimal stoning after this process would be very quick
    here is the video of Nathan's setup
    [video=youtube;u0Iu_EEyEIU]

valknut and wizzer like this.
  6. navman

navman Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2013
    That swinging bar is genius!

valknut likes this.
  7. wizzer

wizzer

Jun 23, 2016
    Thanks so much for that clip. I haven't seen that method before and really like it.

Looks like I'll have some work to do!

8. stezann

stezann

Apr 13, 2011
    We all have to thank Nathan Carother for his smart idea he shared with us all :)

valknut likes this.