• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Sharpening serrated blades

I just bought my first serrated blade (Cold Steel Land & Sea rescue) so, as basic as this may sound, how do I sharpen the darn thing after it's dull. I know this knife is made to cut heavy stuff but every knife gets dull sooner or later. Help! Thanks, John

I don't know about your knife, but the serrated portion on my Stryker has yet to get dull. It's getting worn down, but not dull. But, just to answer your question, I believe Lansky makes a serrate sharpening system. However, the only way I've ever known to re-sharpen a serrate is to put a new edge on it.

Hello dude,

Welcome aboard! Recommend the Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker model 204. This is excellent for sharpening serrations and plain edged knives and even more!
wink.gif

Sam

------------------
have spydies
will travel...
AKTI Member #A001148

Those Cold Steel miniserrations don't respond real well to the Sharpmaker. I have the same serrations on a Vaquero Grande that gets a lot of heavy use slashing and chopping, so it has gotten dull -- but not very. I steel the flat side. It has worked fine so far.

I use the triangle shaped file from the Spyderco Ceramic file set to sharpen the mini-serrations on Cold Steel knives. It has a much narrower profile than the triangle stones that come with the Sharpmaker, and works great! Lansky has advertised a new sharpener made specially for Cold Steel blades that has grooves that fit the Cold Steel mini-serrations. Good Luck!
biggrin.gif
P.S. The Lansky is a keychain style sharpener. I would guess it sells for around $10. You use it by swiping the blade down it like you are trying to cut off a slice of the stone. Also, be careful if you are using portable sharpeners. Have a good one!

[This message has been edited by Tactical (edited 02-23-2001).]

Spyderco have made a jewlers set of small files. I use those and sharpen each serration one at a time... But it does work!

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!
Founding president and member number 1! Wana join?

Back