Sharpening Serrations

I've read related posts on this topic, and Joe Talmadge's (excellent) treatise on sharpening but I'm still unsure on sharpening the serrations on knives I own, particularly my Henckles bread knife and my Cold Steel Vaquero Grande. I own a Spyderco Sharpmaker, but am unsure how to use the system to sharpen serrations.

Aligning the corner of the Sharpmaker with the serrated edge doesn't seem to do the trick; can anyone provide any specific instrucions (or link thereto) on how to sharpen serrations with the Sharpmaker?

I know this is a really basic question, but I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Ryan Meyering

------------------
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 6:23

[This message has been edited by Ryan Meyering (edited 06 June 1999).]

I believe the serrations on Cold Steel knives are too small, and too close together. They cut very quickly, but the Sharpmaker doesn't fit between the serrations. Someone had posted once about sharpening the serrations on Cold Steel knives, but I don't remember who it was. Maybe they see this thread and post.
If you have access to a dremel you might be able to modify your knife, and change the serration pattern to make it easier to resharpen.

Blades

[This message has been edited by Blades (edited 06 June 1999).]

Back