Recommendation? Sharpening stones or sharpening systems?

I made it. The complicated part was making the clevises out of 1”X 3” box channel and turnbuckles using r/h&l/h tie rod ends and hex bar stock.

Each pair of Wicked Edge stones have two grits. So you are actually buying two sets of stones, not just one.

That is a fair point. Just looked at their site, it's common for them to offer 2 grits per set of stones. So if you look at their 100/200 grit pair for $70, it would be the equivalent of getting 2 Edge Pro diamond stones. As a point of comparison, I looked at the Edge Pro Atoma stones at CKTG, they are roughly $50 per stone, so $100 for 2 grits. Some of the other branded E.P. diamond stones cost even more per stone.

The point being, the cost of the W.E. sharpening media, considered in isolation, don't seem out of line compared to other guided systems. I think the OTHER aspects of W.E. can be pricey, but the media aren't bad at all, when you compare to guided system stones.

However, sorry just have to say it :D: if we're going the route of comparing the cost of sharpening stones as an input to the OP's decision, freehand sharpening and bench stones is gonna win that contest hands down. If you come up with some kind of a metric, like "dollars per square inch of sharpening surface area", there's no way that these tiny sharpening stones of the guided systems--which are expensive because they have to be cut to small sizes, and mounted--are going to match up to the cost effectiveness per square inch of a bench stone. Take an easy example, the mammoth DMT duosharp 10"x4" dual-sided interrupted bench stone. That's 40 sq-in. per grit, and the stone is 2 grits, EC and C, for $106 I see it on big river. That equates to 2 grits, 80 sq-in of sharpening area, and a cost of roughly $1.33 per sq-in. If you go with the continuous (vs the interrupted) DMT, the 2-side EC/C Diasharp is 8"x3", so 48" total surface area, best price I see is $88. $88 / 48 sq-in = roughly $1.83 per sq-in. Do the same math on those W.E. stones: from what I can tell from online info, the surface area of one stone on their handles is roughly 5.25" x 0.75", give or take a small fraction. So, surface area of one stone is 3.93" x 4 stones = 15.75" total surface area for 4 stones covering 2 grits. $70/15.75 = $4.44 per sq-in. That ranges from 2.4x to 3.3x per sq-in more expensive than the equivalent grit DMT bench stones.

Not that cost-per-square-inch of sharpening media should be the main or only driver of the OP's decision. But if cost is a factor, just sayin', it's very hard to beat the cost effectiveness of a bench stone.

That is a fair point. Just looked at their site, it's common for them to offer 2 grits per set of stones. So if you look at their 100/200 grit pair for $70, it would be the equivalent of getting 2 Edge Pro diamond stones. As a point of comparison, I looked at the Edge Pro Atoma stones at CKTG, they are roughly $50 per stone, so $100 for 2 grits. Some of the other branded E.P. diamond stones cost even more per stone.

The point being, the cost of the W.E. sharpening media, considered in isolation, don't seem out of line compared to other guided systems. I think the OTHER aspects of W.E. can be pricey, but the media aren't bad at all, when you compare to guided system stones.

However, sorry just have to say it :D: if we're going the route of comparing the cost of sharpening stones as an input to the OP's decision, freehand sharpening and bench stones is gonna win that contest hands down. If you come up with some kind of a metric, like "dollars per square inch of sharpening surface area", there's no way that these tiny sharpening stones of the guided systems--which are expensive because they have to be cut to small sizes, and mounted--are going to match up to the cost effectiveness per square inch of a bench stone. Take an easy example, the mammoth DMT duosharp 10"x4" dual-sided interrupted bench stone. That's 40 sq-in. per grit, and the stone is 2 grits, EC and C, for $106 I see it on big river. That equates to 2 grits, 80 sq-in of sharpening area, and a cost of roughly $1.33 per sq-in. If you go with the continuous (vs the interrupted) DMT, the 2-side EC/C Diasharp is 8"x3", so 48" total surface area, best price I see is $88. $88 / 48 sq-in = roughly $1.83 per sq-in. Do the same math on those W.E. stones: from what I can tell from online info, the surface area of one stone on their handles is roughly 5.25" x 0.75", give or take a small fraction. So, surface area of one stone is 3.93" x 4 stones = 15.75" total surface area for 4 stones covering 2 grits. $70/15.75 = $4.44 per sq-in. That ranges from 2.4x to 3.3x per sq-in more expensive than the equivalent grit DMT bench stones.

Not that cost-per-square-inch of sharpening media should be the main or only driver of the OP's decision. But if cost is a factor, just sayin', it's very hard to beat the cost effectiveness of a bench stone.

Nope, I wasn't comparing anything. Just correcting the comment of MtnHawk1. Edit: It was wade7575 that I meant to refer to, not MtnHawk1. Sorry! Many people do that when talking about WE stones. Few point out the fact that you're getting two sets of stones, not just one.

Last edited:
If I can mention it, the are often deals to be had here on the exchange for the we system.

720306_ts.jpg
I just got the Worksharp precision adjust unit for $50
Works GREAT

720306_ts.jpg

720306_ts.jpg

Last edited:
If I can mention it, the are often deals to be had here on the exchange for the we system.

Sometimes things happen and people need some money fast, or for some other reason. And WE's usually sell pretty quick and you don't lose much money, especially on the WE forum. But I would sell something else before I sold my WE.
Actually, I hate to sell my stuff unless I just don't like it. So I would just hock mine to a family member or a pawn shop so I could get it back.

Nope, I wasn't comparing anything. Just correcting the comment of MtnHawk1. Many people do that when talking about WE stones. Few point out the fact that you're getting two sets of stones, not just one.

I freehand sharpen only and don't know anything about guided systems (except for a Sharpmaker bought many years ago), including the WE. :)

I freehand sharpen only and don't know anything about guided systems (except for a Sharpmaker bought many years ago), including the WE. :)

I apologize. I meant to refer to wade7575's comment, not yours. I'm not sure how I made that mistake but thanks for pointing it out.

Back