Sharpening Systems, all of them and your opinions please...

Welcome,

I use Spyderco Sharpmaker to the touch up but go to a Coarse DMT benchstone for the repofiling.

I had to use an X coarse on a CRKT Skinner that my family demolished, it is not pretty, but it works again, the tip needed thinning.

I work in the knife business, so I am planning on buying the Edge-Pro to get those proffesional results.

I sharpen free hand as well and with a coarse stone I get great results, but as soon as I move up in grit, it all goes to pot.

I am going to keep up on all fronts.

------------------
Marion David Poff aka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com If I fail to check back with this thread and you want some info, email me.

Check out my review of the Kasper AFCK, thougths on the AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/kasperafck.html

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/index.html

Desert Rat has been doing such a good job flaming the gismos lately I've been slacking off, but he seems to have missed this thread -- my turn!
smile.gif

If you want a sharp knife you have to give it a half dozen strokes every time it gets dull enough to need a half dozen strokes. I suspect most of the people who use gismos have dull knives most of the time. If they don't they must spend more time setting up and taking down their gismos than they spend actually sharpening.

I can't imagine where that idea that small blades are hard to sharpen freehand came from. I make and sharpen woodcarving blades down to only a few millimeters long and all kinds of different shapes and I don't have the slightest difficulty holding a consistent angle; the smaller a blade is the quicker and easier it is to sharpen.

Desert Rat keeps threatening to teach people to sharpen in five minutes -- well, I believe I could teach a chimpanzee to sharpen a knife. Take the Cougar Allen Knife Sharpening Potential Test: Hold one hand at an angle to your other hand and rub it back and forth. ...........Could you do that? If you could, you have Knife Sharpening Potential! Read the Sharpening FAQ, get a knife you don't mind scratching up and a hone, and go to it!

-Cougar Allen :{)

Marion: try the magic marker trick when you move to finer hones; you'll soon figure it out and won't need the magic marker any more.

Anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about: read the FAQ! Go to the home page and click on "Features."

-Cougar Allen :{)

I have a Razors Edge System, the very similar, but older Buck Honemaster, a Lansky system and a recently acquired Sharpmaker. I have accumulated these various systems because, I believe, some systems work better on some blades than others (also, I have been stalking the planet for quite awhile.) For example, I find it difficult to sharpen recurve baldes on a flat stone. The only system I have found to do a superior job on all my blades is the Sharpmaker. I sharpen my own knives and, occasionly, the knives of others.

[This message has been edited by Willie Boy (edited 22 August 1999).]

Back