1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

sharpening technique for EDC newbie?

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by JWheel, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WK ONE

WK ONE

Apr 25, 2015
    I have and love my Doublestuf. Puts a hair popping edge on in no time.

2. J D Wijbenga

J D Wijbenga Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 17, 1998
    This is a great explanation of the basics sharpening by Joe Calton:
    [video=youtube;sKmr2xr702M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKmr2xr702M[/video]

3. JWheel

JWheel

Jun 18, 2015
    Thanks for that. It took the mystery out of it for me. He keeps it simple.

4. J D Wijbenga

J D Wijbenga Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 17, 1998
    My pleasure! Thats what I like about his approach: clear and simple! Sharpening is just a skill anyone who can write his/her name can learn.

5. aesmith

aesmith

Jan 19, 2015
    Hi, I had a play around with my clamp. The first attempt was removing a little of the rubber to create the equivalent of the old notch for narrow blades. Can I ask, how deep was the old notch?

I'm trying a couple of mm which is not that secure but possibly useable (with the rubber you need more than 2mm clamped to hold the blade steady). With this mod, and also filing some from the outside of the clamp I can make the 20 degree setting usable, not not quite the 17. I might have to grind a little off the underneath of the clamp as well to get there.

6. fvdk

fvdk

Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  7. awestib

awestib

Dec 29, 2008
    Great video, thanks for sharing!

8. JWheel

JWheel

Jun 18, 2015
    Okay, I think I've decided on doing things the old fashioned way with stones. What brand/stones should I be looking at? I don't want to break the bank, but I do want something with decent quality. The Norton starter kit has a double-sided 220/1000 grit stone and a 4000/8000 grit stone. Is that overkill for a newbie? Does anyone have a better recommendation?

The knives I care about the most are s30v steel or 1095 (if that makes any difference).

9. Joe Calton

Joe Calton

Jul 8, 2008
    id go with a simple Norton crystolon combination stone. I just picked one up for about $30, but im sure you can find them cheaper. the box on it says jb8 coarse/fine. I use them with mineral oil bought by the gallon at the local farm store. It will sharpen my benchmade s30v 940, my 1095 knives, and so far every knife that I have tried on it. they are a good stone. then once you learn on those, you could go to the diamond hones, I have had good luck with dmt and smiths. keep it simple and easy.

10. JWheel

JWheel

Jun 18, 2015
    Done. I like simple and easy. Just ordered the Norton crystolon and an Old Hickory carbon steel paring knife to practice with. I like learning on $30 worth of stuff much more than $140 dollars worth. Thanks, Joe!

11. matarius777

matarius777

Apr 25, 2012
    Sorry to reply to so old a post, but this thing about narrow blades changing the sharpening angle is something I was thinking about because I’ve just got myself the Lansky Deluxe. The thing is though, if you have a narrower blade than the system was designed for, the actual angle should be greater, not less than the angle stated on the notch, your figures seem to imply that their angles are totally out. If, on a narrow blade, the true sharpening angle is 21.5 degrees, not the stated 25 degrees, then with a wider blade, the true angle will be even more acute, veering to 20 degrees or less? That doesn’t make sense, unless I’m having a major brain flip! Lol.
    Sorry

12. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    I use a level and protractor to verify my angles when using my lansky. I don't go by the angles on the clamp haha!

Ripcord 82 likes this.
  13. Haffner

Haffner

Feb 13, 2007
    Try an angle cube, it makes everything much earlier...

Ripcord 82 likes this.
  14. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    Looking into it... Thanks!

15. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    I have a KME sharpening system that I started off with for my spydies and Benchmades. I found not to trust the angle graduations that they give you so use the angle cube to find the angle needed.Also,where you clamp down on the knife as in close to the spine or further in towards the edge changes the angle to the apex.The black sharpie is your best friend.
    I know that a few of us came in pretty late on this topic but just thought I'd give my findings for anybody new wanting to purchase a guided system for sharpening.

16. Ripcord 82

Ripcord 82

Feb 15, 2019
    Yes,yes,yes...angle cube!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.