1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharpening techniques

Discussion in 'Gossman Knives' started by Murman, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Murman

Murman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 11, 2015
    What's the best approach to sharpening a Gossman? Seems my tusker has almost a zero bevel. I don't want to mess it up monkeying with it the wrong way. I acknowledge my ignorance and seek your help. Usually use a lansky rod sharpener. Don't have belts or a mechanic sharpening system but I'm open to buying one.

Uncle Timbo and Apocryphiliac like this.
  2. Murman

Murman KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 11, 2015
    IMG_20171118_164649.jpg

Apocryphiliac likes this.
  3. Murman

Nov 11, 2015
    It doesn't feel extremely sharp to the touch. But I used it the other night to cut vegetables to test and it was extremely slicy. Not sure what to make of that. Also I bought it secondary market and being my first Gossman not sure if it's factory edge or not. I'm taking it deer hunting this weekend so it will see some heavy use, plan on getting at least 3. Will git skin and quarter. Skinning always dulls my knives

4. Gossman Knives

Gossman Knives Edged Toolmaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 9, 2004
    You can sharpen on a flat stone or your lansky rod. Mark the edge with a sharpie to see where you are hitting. With my edges, they are done a higher angle, about 30/35 degrees with light strokes into the edge. M4 needs diamond abrasives. The edge your have is polished and doesn't feel sharp to the touch but it is. Problem with polished edges on meat is they tend to slide off. I prefer more of a toothy edge for flesh.
    Scott

5. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Great question, Murman.

I guess my instinct is to apply my usual technique of using a flat stone just as though I were stropping. I suppose I will need to figure out something else for the M4. I have diamond stones for my Spyderco Sharpmaker, but I don’t know how I would best use them for a large blade as they are so narrow. By the way, I suck at sharpening, lol.

Murman likes this.
  6. never.truly.lost

never.truly.lost Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 13, 2015
    Try the Fallkniven DC4; works wonders on all my Gossmans and finish with a leather strop/compound and finally strop on your jeans or Carhartt pant leg.

7. Warbow150

Warbow150 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2013
    That knife ought to get through all three deer without much more than a touch up. DMT makes good diamond stones for that knife.

8. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    I just got some 8” DMT stones and they’re fantastic. I can finally sharpen worth half a crap by using those. ;)