Sharpening techniques

What's the best approach to sharpening a Gossman? Seems my tusker has almost a zero bevel. I don't want to mess it up monkeying with it the wrong way. I acknowledge my ignorance and seek your help. Usually use a lansky rod sharpener. Don't have belts or a mechanic sharpening system but I'm open to buying one.

It doesn't feel extremely sharp to the touch. But I used it the other night to cut vegetables to test and it was extremely slicy. Not sure what to make of that. Also I bought it secondary market and being my first Gossman not sure if it's factory edge or not. I'm taking it deer hunting this weekend so it will see some heavy use, plan on getting at least 3. Will git skin and quarter. Skinning always dulls my knives

You can sharpen on a flat stone or your lansky rod. Mark the edge with a sharpie to see where you are hitting. With my edges, they are done a higher angle, about 30/35 degrees with light strokes into the edge. M4 needs diamond abrasives. The edge your have is polished and doesn't feel sharp to the touch but it is. Problem with polished edges on meat is they tend to slide off. I prefer more of a toothy edge for flesh.
Scott

Great question, Murman.

I guess my instinct is to apply my usual technique of using a flat stone just as though I were stropping. I suppose I will need to figure out something else for the M4. I have diamond stones for my Spyderco Sharpmaker, but I don’t know how I would best use them for a large blade as they are so narrow. By the way, I suck at sharpening, lol.

Try the Fallkniven DC4; works wonders on all my Gossmans and finish with a leather strop/compound and finally strop on your jeans or Carhartt pant leg.

That knife ought to get through all three deer without much more than a touch up. DMT makes good diamond stones for that knife.

That knife ought to get through all three deer without much more than a touch up. DMT makes good diamond stones for that knife.
I just got some 8” DMT stones and they’re fantastic. I can finally sharpen worth half a crap by using those. ;)

Did you get the diamond or the whey stone one with all the holes on top I'm looking at getting some new stones?

It doesn't feel extremely sharp to the touch. But I used it the other night to cut vegetables to test and it was extremely slicy. Not sure what to make of that. Also I bought it secondary market and being my first Gossman not sure if it's factory edge or not. I'm taking it deer hunting this weekend so it will see some heavy use, plan on getting at least 3. Will git skin and quarter. Skinning always dulls my knives
Btw, I have noticed this in general with Scott’s blades—they don’t feel terribly sharp to the touch, don’t really shave the hair off my arm, but they cut exceptionally well. I guess that the microbevel is a little more obtuse than what I’m used to, (which will help to avoid damage in more extreme uses) but the overall grinds being full-height convex still allows them to perform very well. At least, this is my running theory.

Back