Sharpening the Moran edge

I'd like to hone my Moran to shaving sharpness. How should I use my Spydie Sharpmaker to best advantage on the Moran edge?

JCS - I sharpen the Moran on the Sharpmaker just as though it was a normal plain edge knife. Yes, this changes the edge angle and grind, but it does permit you to restore a razor edge without buffing equipment.

The alternative is to buff the edge, or have it buffed by a knifemaker.

sal

Sal, great to have you answer my question. I can't get enough of your product. I've got four Spydies.

But I've got a question about your post. What does "buff the edge" mean? Should I send it back to you guys?

[This message has been edited by JerseyCitySteve (edited 23 July 1999).]

The traditional forged grind and edge is based on using a "slack-a-belt" technique on the grind which creates the convex grind. This is done on a power grinder (large belt sander might be a better description if you are not accustomed to belt grinders).

The edge is generally buffed using a power buffing wheel often with an additive. The buffing wheel does not change the shape of the grind as a stone will, it just creates a very thin edge on the very thin edge left by the convex grind.

We put this grind and edge on the Moran because it was traditional for his type of knife making. However the price for such an operation proved to be too high to adequately sell the model. We are in the process of switching to a more conventional flat grind and "normal" edge.
sal

Thanks so much Sal.

So I'll guess I'll have to find a knife maker or just keep using the sharpmaker. Anybody else have this issue with the Moran? To sharpen or not?

I have been using one of those pocket fillet knife sharpeners before the blade gets too dull to maintain the edge on my Moran.

It has maintained the convex edge well. It is still as sharp as before. I figure that when this fails to work, I will switch over to the Sharpmaker. In the meantime, I like the convex edge.

Daniel

I think that the convex edge is great. It is what makes the Moran stand out from all the other small fixed blades out there (well that, the VG-10 blade and the mirror polish).
I like the knife so much that I just picked up another one (that makes 3). Two will stay in my collection, and I still have one to use and abuse.
I just wish that Sal & Co. would have continued with the old style.

------------------
C.O.'s-"It takes balls to work behind the walls "

So I guess what I'll do is send the knife to Spyderco to sharpen and keep it as an heirloom. Then buy one of the plain edge (in drop point I hope)ones down the line to work withor even one of those swedish fixed blades that Chai Cutlery stocks.

JCS-

Try these threads.

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000514.html

http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002106.html

------------------
Marion David Poff aka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com

I wrote a review of the Kasper AFCK variant, an interview of Bob Kasper, and some thoughts and brainstorms of the AFCK in general. It can be found at http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000568.html . Check it out and tell me what you think.

"I'm just an advertisement for a version of myself." David Byrne

"It's the action, not the fruit of the action that's important. You have to do the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing there will be no result." Gandhi

Hello,

by sharpening my Moran free hand for one year now.
It's still Razor sharp and the Moran edge is still convex.

free hand is the way, but you need to learn slowly.

A 800 grind gatco tricepts little gizmo is perfect for VG-10.

Cheers,
JM

Back