Sharpening with DMT and Shapton together?

Hello all-

First post... Looking into investing in some quality stones. I have done quite a bit of searching and have found plenty on progressions/kits from DMT and Shapton individually, but was wondering about using each in a sort of hybrid progression.

I have a variety of steels, some of which worry me when I consider sharpening them: INFI, M4, D2, 3V, S90V, S35vn, CPM-154, 154CM, 20CV, 1095. Since diamond cuts fastest, was curious why not use DMT DiaSharp in the Extra Coarse, Coarse, and maybe even Fine varieties, then transition to Shapton HR to refine the edges and remove the scratch patterns typical of the DMT stones?

I haven't heard much of people doing this. It seems they are either completely DMT or completely Shapton. Is there a reason for this?

Lastly, am I correct in assuming a LESS refined edge may be preferred for my Busse Axe Hammer vs. a more refined edge being preferred for a EDC slicer or kitchen knife? In that case, would sticking to the Siam one homes be better for choppers and bushcraft knives rather than going on to ceramics after?

Thanks so much for the help!

Can't speak about Shapton but I use DMT and Spyderco Ceramics together. Works very well. I have the DMT Duosharp Coarse/Fine, Diasharp Extra Fine and then the Spyderco Medium and Fine. That basic progression works really well for me.

Thanks for the reply! I've heard some good things about Spyderco ceramics and used spyderco knives quite a bit in commercial diving and oilfield work in the past, as well as in the military. Only negative I've heard about the ceramics from them is they load quickly?

Was thinking DMT more for re-profile, major edge fixes, and quickly raising a burr, then polishing on Shapton.

I have both and I use to use the dmt and the spyderco setup too... the shapton glass hr series is made for high carbon steels so I think the would do fine... andb if u get shaptons your going to need a lapping stone so you might as well go with the atoma 140 or 400... I like the atoma more then dmts and they cut faster and last longer so I think that be better for you.. you can find the aromas for just as cheap as the extra coarse dmt if you do some shopping. Hope that helps good luckpp

I use DMT and Shapton Pros together :
Sharpen with the Shaptons
Flatten the stones with the DMTs.

Shapton 120

For me, I prefer less refined "toothy" edges for EDC and kitchen tasks.

Some steels, due to composition and profile, also perform better with a toothy edge.

I use DMT stones and Shapton HR Glass stones.

When I'm sharpening manually to relax, I go down to my lowest DMT which is Extra Extra Fine at 3microns. Then I switch to my two Shaptons which is 8000 grit (1.84 micron) and 16000 grit (0.92 micron).

Back