Sharpening your WAS knife

NUTRAMAC

Gold Member
Hello everyone I would like to start a thread on how to properly sharpen your WAS knife. Please weigh in with your experience.

I like this thread! For those of you who already enjoy Fiddlebacks and have experience sharpening them, should be straight forward. I use the same process to put the secondary bevel and final sharpening on as we do at Fiddleback Forge. The added benefit to the hollow grind though is when you are working the edge, there is a much lower chance of scratching the blade if your angle is off due to the grind being concave vs. convex. I finish sharpen all on a 40 micron belt by hand then strop with leather coated in green rouge. Let me know if there are any specifics that you need me to touch on. Enjoy your WAS Knife and thank you for the support!!!!

I like this thread! For those of you who already enjoy Fiddlebacks and have experience sharpening them, should be straight forward. I use the same process to put the secondary bevel and final sharpening on as we do at Fiddleback Forge. The added benefit to the hollow grind though is when you are working the edge, there is a much lower chance of scratching the blade if your angle is off due to the grind being concave vs. convex. I finish sharpen all on a 40 micron belt by hand then strop with leather coated in green rouge. Let me know if there are any specifics that you need me to touch on. Enjoy your WAS Knife and thank you for the support!!!!
Allen,
Thank you for that great post.
What is your opinion of maintaining our WAS knife with sandpaper and the "mouse pad technique "
I currently just hone after so many uses with leather strop loaded with green compound. If I have neglected the blade I will start with the black. Then the green.
My grandfather and my father thought me to use stones so this whole process is a new one to me, but I find the leather to be forgiving and extremely relaxing.
When you sharpen do you do heel to tip or vice versa.
Thank you for your insight our blades come razor sharp!

Back