Sharpfinger!

This knife is a great beater however I'd like to see a some lighter handles and a little bit longer blade (maybe 1/2 an inch) and a kydex sheath. Who's with me?

I think that Schrade should come up with a medium size carbon steel fixed blade knife to follow up on the popularity of the OT folders and the Sharpfinger. The size and pattern could be subject for discussion but I would opt for a flat ground 4-6" blade with full tang and a deep index finger groove/integral single guard.
BTW, the Deerslayer has a pattern similar to Sharpfinger but significantly larger and often available at e-bay for about $25.

HM

Yes, Schrade needs to bring out a line of fixed-blade knives in commom blade patterns, such as drop-point and spear-point, with carbon steel and delrin handles, similar in constuction to to the Sharpfinger, Deerslayer, Guthook, etc. Nothing fancy or expensive. And forget about Kydex, it costs too much. I've mentioned this idea before, a few times I think, and yet no new knives. Hmmm? Look at what all the others are doing. Spyderco, SOG, Benchmade, etc., they're all bringing out a bunch of nice fixed-blades. But Schrade, nothing. Come on you guys, get with it. Also, Quarterstaff mentioned lighter handles. Well, the handles are just fine, I don't see how they're heavy in any way or how they could be made lighter.

So Tim, where are our new, improved Old Timers? I'm waiting, and losing my patience. Five or ten more years of this and I'm through.
So there.
Now, where's my hoola-hoop?

I agree, Schrade could easily carve out a share on the market of fixed blades. Especially now when some other companies are coming out with their 420 steel budget blades. The Schrade carbon steel could be a strong contender or if one wants stainless, the Schrade+. Schrade OTs are honest and good quality deals. I wish I could see more fixed blades similar to Sharpfinger in construction.
I am with Marty on the handles, delrin is fine with me. Some stabilized wood or stag options (limited series?) would be nice though.
Let's see what Tim has to say about it.

HM

As always tanks for the input. There was alot of talk about handles of the new Old Timers - what kind of material should we look at -aluminum (anodized), something else? We actually have a fairly extensive group of rigid blades besides the 152- what do you all think of the 140, 143, etc - they have rubber handles, and the schrade plus steel. Are we, in your collective opions missing the boat on patterns avail, or using too much stainless vs high carbon, or, as mentioned earlier, handle material? Question - the people on this forum are intense knife guys, with above average knowledge of knives (no brown nosing intended - it's just true) does the average guy really care or understand the difference between high carbon and stainless? I'd say 99.9% of all new knives are stainless (or ats,etc) I would like to read your comments.

Its hard to speak from an 'average knife buyer' point of view, since we who post here tend to know what we want, and know the differences in materials.

Personally, I would like to see OT handles and steels stay just how they are. I dont care much for the rubber handles knives, but as far as derlin gos, I like it on my OT knives. Its durable, and looks pretty decent. I would just like to see some other patterns like drop point or spear points along the same line as the Sharpfinger (derlin handles and carcon blades).

One thing that I like about OT knives is that they are in-expensive, but NOT cheap...if ya know what I mean. I dont know of another brand that offers such high quality at prices that everybody can afford.

You make them, we will buy :)

We need a Deerslayer - I have three 152OTs (I don't know why!) I love the design of the 152OT - handle - steel are great but I would like a larger version - it would be perfection in cutlery.

I whould love to see a PH1 or a PH2 in 1095 carbon steel with the old timer saw cut brown delren handles,sure whould be a good user knife
Thank You
Tony Paulos

Back