Sharpmaker 204 Convex Edge Kit works

It took some tweaking but I now have a very workable prototype of a Sharpmaker 204 Convex Edge Kit.

The kit consists of:
2 pieces of 3" x 5.5" X .125" Leather
(The 3M sanding sponges were too soft)

6 Clamps (The Binder Clamps that Shmackey pictured in his post worked very well.)

SiC paper in 120, 240, 400, and 600 Grits
(Cut each full sheet into six ~3" x 5.5" pieces for 3 pair.)

Clamp the paper and Leather onto the Triangular Rods.

Insert the Rods into the 30 Degree Back Bevel position.

Use traditional Sharpmaker technique of holding Blade vertically and going down as if trying to slice the paper off the rod.

I tested this on an A.G. Russell Bird and Trout in ATS-34 and a Camillus EDC in 154cm.

I am very pleased with the results.

Hey SDouglas,

Glad to see it's working! I like the 1/8" leather, too; it gives, but is also firm enough to not be "spongy" or uselessly soft.

Just bringing it BTTT as a nifty idea for others --

Glen

I would love to hear about others results with this experimental setup.

One interersting observation on the Camillus EDC I sharpened.

Although it filets paper nicely and is wicked on cardboard it does not shave arm hair well.

I don't know if this is a quirk of a convex edge or if I just didn't go to a fine enough grit.

My 154CM EDC sharpened with the edges of the sharpmaker shaves as well as any other knife of mine.

Originally posted by SDouglas
I would love to hear about others results with this experimental setup.

One interersting observation on the Camillus EDC I sharpened.

Although it filets paper nicely and is wicked on cardboard it does not shave arm hair well.

I don't know if this is a quirk of a convex edge or if I just didn't go to a fine enough grit.
It may be that you're rounding the edge where the primary and secondary bevels meet, but not quite getting all the way down to the edge itself. You could try Joe Talmadge's immortal marker trick: mark the edge with a felt tip marker. The areas that remain marked after sharpening will indicate where you're missing, and therefore how you need to adjust your sharpening accordingly.

I also find it helpful to look at the edge under magnification. I use a Bausch & Lomb pocket magnifier with three different lens, which provide x5-x20 power magification depending on whether you use the lens individually or in concert. Each lens is fairly small, but it's pretty inexpensive and does a good job for examining edges. It is available at Brigade Quartermasters online for $23.99. Go to www.actiongear.com and use its search engine; type either KEYWORD bausch & lomb magnifier or ITEM #FPM8187.

gmm

I have used the marker trick and I am going all the way to the edge.

The blade cuts very well and it passes the fileting paper test which usually requires a blade to be shaving sharp with flying colors.

In fact this is the first instance where an edge that would filet paper would not shave arm hair in my experience.

Just a brief update.

I have refined my technique going to slightly less pressure while sharpening the EDC and I am now getting a consistant shaving edge.

I am also working on a new clamp setup that will make it easier to use Half sheets of SiC paper and keep fresh paper available for sharpening.

Back