sharpmaker 204 - suitable for other angles?

spyken

Gold Member
hi,

I'm considering whether to buy the Sharpmaker 204 - especially after reading all the glowing reviews. However, I'm concerned about the angles on the 204. Is it only 40deg and 30deg? What if I need to sharpen at 15deg(kitchen knives)or 25deg? How does one do that? can someone help me? thanks!

i'm really getting addicted to these forums. and I can't wait to get my first sypderco - am saving every last cent I have....

kenji

Spyken,
Welcome to Bladeforums!! Have you been to www.spyderco.com forums yet?? Just wondering.
I have the old 203, and you only get one preset angle. :) So for a different angle I have to sharpen free hand. I'll put the stone flat(or in the scissors hole), angle the blade to where I need it, and sharpen away. Hope this helps.

Blades

The 204 only has 2 preset angles. For other angles, you can set the stones into 2 slots in the bottom of the machine to make a bench stone of sorts, and sharpen at any angle you choose.
For most knives, 30 is the sharpest bevel you'll probably need, even for kitchen knives. Few steels can reliably hold less than a 30. Sometimes a 20 degree inclusive bevel is done. The edge is not very strong, but it'll split a hair lengthwise.

First of all, Liko is right about the bottom of the 204, you can make it into a benchstone and sharpen a knife at any angle.

The reasons for the 30 and 40 degree angles are: 1. Spyderco suggests the 40 because this angle is just about the best for an edge on a knife. A 40 degree angle gives the knife a stronger edge, 2. just in case you "oversharpen" at the 40 degree, you can use the 30 degree angle to correct. Unless you like the 30 better. You can get a super sharp edge, but it won't be as resilient as the 40.

I've read that all Spyderco knives come, in the box from the factory, with the 30 degree angle. This makes the sharpening to the 40 degree angle easier.

For more info, check out the Spydie website at www.spyderco.com

just adjust your wrist to change anything... My Calypso jr currently has about 1/16" clearance b/w the spine and the stones set in the 30 slot. About 20degrees and holding for 3 weeks...

Back