Sharpmaker and Spyderco Serrations...

Haven't sharpened a serrated knife in a while with the sharpmaker. Kind of forgot how. A gentleman at work has a spyderco folder that i told him i would sharpen for him. My sharpening skills are fine, i was just wondering if theres any special way? Do you do each serration groove seperately or what? I know you dont sharpen the back if theres no bevel. But i do usually take the fine stone and do one pass on the back just to remove any roll over.

well, the thing is i have the sharpmaker. Which is what i planned on sharpening it with. But do i go over the serration grooves and push just like i would a plain edge, or do i do each groove individually?

No CanonRebel, don't do them seperately. Slide the knife down and toward you just as if you were sharpening a plain-edge blade. Find the correct angle, of course. Do both side if the serrations are on both. If one side is serrated and the other plain-edge, then every 10 or so passes on the serrated side, do a light pass on the plain side to remove the burr. Don;t hold the same angle on the plain side, try to flatten the blade against the stone with just a very slight angle away..... very slight.

Good luck

I found the best results from going rather slow, to make sure I didnt skip and portion of the teeth, or just jump over it when moving too quickly. I would also alternate from heel to tip, then tip to heel on every other stroke. This helped to make sure I didnt miss any of the serrations.

How many passes did it take on the gray stone? I have no idea how dull this thing is but for somebody who knows little about knives and just uses them for them to say its dull is something.

It's been awhile since my serrated blades were dull, but I'd start with 15 passes on each side (unless one side of the serration is plain, in which case that side might get3 or 4 light passes).

Me2 has a pretty good idea...I never thought of that (heel to tip, tip to heel)

I found the best results from going rather slow, to make sure I didnt skip and portion of the teeth, or just jump over it when moving too quickly. I would also alternate from heel to tip, then tip to heel on every other stroke. This helped to make sure I didnt miss any of the serrations.

My technique is about the same. If knife is dull, probably you will need to start with medium stone and do much more than 20 strokes, just do it very slowly and with little pressure. Also after 3-4 passes on medium I do one stroke on opposite side on fine to remove burr.

Does anyone have experience using the specially made Crock Stick with grooves to match the serrations unique to spyerdo and cold steel?

They are so inexpensive, $6, that I'd of guessed everyone had them and used them.

But no one mentions them. Why?

Haven't sharpened a serrated knife in a while with the sharpmaker. Kind of forgot how.

Per Spyderco's video instructions from Sal Glesser (founder and head of R&D) there are two ways to sharpen serrations on the Triangle Sharpmaker. Remember that for sharpening serrations, only use the corners/points of the triangles, not the flats/sides or you will slowly grind off the serrations :) For example, in the written instructions these steps would be numbered 1 and 3. They do caution you to stick mostly to the white stones (fine grit) so you do not damage the serration pattern by going to quickly with the brown/grey stones (coarse grit).

Method 1: Holding the knife straight up and down (i.e. just like for a PE) slowly alternate side to side, just like a plainedge. This will give you the more durable angle of 40 degrees. You will eventually create a small bevel on the side that from the factory did not have one.

Method 2: Holding the knife straight up and down slowly perform 3-5 strokes on the side with the grind from the factory then one on the other side just to cut off the burr. This will more closely match the factory sharpening angle which comes in a little more accute than 40 degrees.

...I read in a previous post to lay down the side of the blade without the original grind and work it that way. That is reserved for sharpening electric knives that work in conjunction with another knife so you do not create a gap between the cutting edges.

I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Please let us know how you ended up producing the edge and how it turned out. I always like a good story.

Back