Sharpmaker Cleaning Advice Needed

75Blazer

Banned
I can't seem to get the fine ceramic rods on my sharpmaker clean anymore, despite using a variety of methods (comet/toothbrush, rubber eraser, soap and water) it keeps a metallic film and lacks the fine grinding sensation it used to have. Do these rods wear out fast? I don't know how many hours I've put on them but it hasn't been excessive in my mind.

Any cleaning or renewal or product life advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I've always had good luck with Bon Ami and a scrubber pad (you know, they are luck sponges, only flat, dark green, rough, and hard when dry).
Richard

speedfan said:
I've always had good luck with Bon Ami and a scrubber pad (you know, they are luck sponges, only flat, dark green, rough, and hard when dry).
Richard
Second that. They're clean in just a few seconds.

Another vote for the rust eraser, works great. Also try Bar Keeper's Friend.

That's weird. I've been surprised how easily the rods clean off. I use a kitchen scrub pad, usually with Comet/Bon Ami/whatever's under the sink, but the rods seems to clean up just as well with dishwashing soap. Try the abrasive pad.

ErikD

Gold Member
I just use the method shown in the video, Comet and an abrasive pad. Never had any problems getting them clean and good as new. Even just used my hands when I couldn't find an abrasive pad, now that either means I have rather abrasive hands, or they clean very easily. :D Don't know why you would be having any trouble. :confused:

Comet has always done the trick for me very easily.

IIRC, the video says the white rods never wear out, but that the brown rods will wear out in about 5 years. Did I get that right? :confused:

Comet + ScotchBrite pad (aka "Green meany" aka "Green rough nylon scrubbing pad thing") has always worked for me. I think that perhaps the toothbrush you're trying to use is too soft.

WHAT? Nobody can wait for the Spyderco "Cleanmaker?"

Sheeze, have a little patience.

:D

I'm waiting for the Spyderco Moneymaker. If it works as well as the Sharpmaker I'm going to be rich! :)

Ken C.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Staff member
Super Mod
gajinoz said:
I'm waiting for the Spyderco Moneymaker. If it works as well as the Sharpmaker I'm going to be rich! :)
That's already been invented and Sal Glesser owns the only one. It's called Spyderco, Inc. ;) :D

K.V. Collucci said:
That's already been invented and Sal Glesser owns the only one. It's called Spyderco, Inc. ;) :D

No kidding. Sal is getting a steady income from us... :)

Keith Mayton said:
Comet has always done the trick for me very easily.

IIRC, the video says the white rods never wear out, but that the brown rods will wear out in about 5 years. Did I get that right? :confused:

I absolutely agree. The Scotch-Brite pads are the key. I've never had a prob. and have used the Sharpmaker for about 3 years.

I use an old Nestea jar, the tall one, and add some soapy water, inssert rods, then stick it in an ultrasonic cleaner at work for 20 minutes, take it out and 3 or 4 wipes with the scotchbrite . Works on the nastiest rods.