Sharpmaker extra fine rods

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by tonymp, Feb 18, 2020.

1. tonymp

tonymp

Jun 15, 2014
    I have a sharpmaker, I bought the extra fine rods which were marked red on the end, the red wore off the end and now the rods look the same, I can’t tell which ones are the extra fine or the fine, it’s hard to tell by feel, any suggestions?

2. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard

Feb 28, 2015
    I only have a single "Fine" rod so I cannot compare them, but the Ultra Fine is supposed to be surface ground and probably has a slightly different texture pattern as a result. Try rubbing both with a pencil and see if any difference appears.

tonymp likes this.
  3. NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

Jul 14, 2017
    Have had a couple sets of the UF rods over the years and both sets had very fine / small notch(s) or grooves on the end as to where the fine did not.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    kreisler likes this.
  4. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Nail polish

kreisler likes this.
  5. tonymp

tonymp

Jun 15, 2014
    ?????

6. rpttrsn

rpttrsn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2006
    He doesn't know which is the ultra fine so it would be hard to put nail polish on the ultra fine until he determines which is the UF. After he does nail polish is a good suggestion. He could also grind a small notch in the UF on the end if he doesn't watch the color wearing off.

tonymp likes this.
  7. Bearbreeder

Bearbreeder

Jan 9, 2018
    You should be able to tell by sharping a knife on it

The ultrafine will feel like the knife is skating on glass

White the fine will still feel like theres a bit of abrasiveness

This is coming off the medium stone

Might be easier to tell if you freehand with the rod

8. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    it's maybe best to paint the fish hook groove with red nail polish?

9. bill64

bill64

Dec 7, 2009
    I have the same problem.Can't decide which is which!

10. tonymp

tonymp

Jun 15, 2014
    and what really sucks is if I buy another set, I don't know which are the fine so I may have to buy both sets, going by feel is harder than it sounds because there's only a 200 grit difference between them, when I think I made up my mind which is which I end up changing mind.

11. rpttrsn

Nov 1, 2006
    The new ones should come with red ends.

12. tonymp

tonymp

Jun 15, 2014
    that's the problem, the red wore off, I marked a set with a sharpie in the fish hook area, after not using the sharpener for a while, I can't remember if I marked the ultra fine with the sharpie or the fine

13. kreisler

kreisler

May 11, 2012
    i can remember. you marked the ultra fine with the sharpie not the fine

;)

14. rpttrsn

Nov 1, 2006
    Maybe you need to leave a note taped to the case or tell a friend which one you marked. Why would anyone mark the fine rods red when they know the ultra fine came with the red ends?