Sharpmaker extra fine rods

I have a sharpmaker, I bought the extra fine rods which were marked red on the end, the red wore off the end and now the rods look the same, I can’t tell which ones are the extra fine or the fine, it’s hard to tell by feel, any suggestions?

I only have a single "Fine" rod so I cannot compare them, but the Ultra Fine is supposed to be surface ground and probably has a slightly different texture pattern as a result. Try rubbing both with a pencil and see if any difference appears.

Have had a couple sets of the UF rods over the years and both sets had very fine / small notch(s) or grooves on the end as to where the fine did not.

QfUt0k7.jpg

Last edited:
He doesn't know which is the ultra fine so it would be hard to put nail polish on the ultra fine until he determines which is the UF. After he does nail polish is a good suggestion. He could also grind a small notch in the UF on the end if he doesn't watch the color wearing off.

You should be able to tell by sharping a knife on it

The ultrafine will feel like the knife is skating on glass

White the fine will still feel like theres a bit of abrasiveness

This is coming off the medium stone

Might be easier to tell if you freehand with the rod

I have the same problem.Can't decide which is which!
and what really sucks is if I buy another set, I don't know which are the fine so I may have to buy both sets, going by feel is harder than it sounds because there's only a 200 grit difference between them, when I think I made up my mind which is which I end up changing mind.

and what really sucks is if I buy another set, I don't know which are the fine so I may have to buy both sets, going by feel is harder than it sounds because there's only a 200 grit difference between them, when I think I made up my mind which is which I end up changing mind.
The new ones should come with red ends.

The new ones should come with red ends.
that's the problem, the red wore off, I marked a set with a sharpie in the fish hook area, after not using the sharpener for a while, I can't remember if I marked the ultra fine with the sharpie or the fine

that's the problem, the red wore off, I marked a set with a sharpie in the fish hook area, after not using the sharpener for a while, I can't remember if I marked the ultra fine with the sharpie or the fine
Maybe you need to leave a note taped to the case or tell a friend which one you marked. Why would anyone mark the fine rods red when they know the ultra fine came with the red ends?

Back