Sharpmaker-how clean is clean?

The gray rods don't clean up as well as the white ones. I can still see some metal in the pores of the gray rods after cleaning them.

I use scotch brite pads with ajax, as instructed.

Now, they do sharpen the knife after cleaning. Should I just shut up and keep doing what I have been doing, or did i miss something in the clean up.

Here's what you want to do. First of all soak your gray stones or your white ones either one in some soapy hot water for about a half an hour. Then take some of the cheapest abrasive cleanser such as the generic cleansers like they sell in the grocery store. Scrub them really well with the cheap stuff. Then rinse them off with hot water. Then you want to get some Bar Keeper's Friend (www.barkeepersfriend.com) you can get it usually at the grocery or hardware store. Make a thick paste with the BKF then take a fine brush such as a toothbrush and really scrub them good. Then let them sit for about 5 minutes, rinse them off with hot water and they should be just like new. I have been doing it that way for about 2 years now and mine always look just like new. GOOD LUCK ;)

Just pulled mine out of the ultrasonic cleaner at work today. A little soapy water in an old Nestea jar, "buzz" for 20 - 30 minutes, then a minute on the ol' Scotchbrite pad and they are about like new. Best cleaning I found so far.

Are scotch brite pads made of plastic? If so, switch to a steel wool type pad like Brillo or SOS (if they're not already charged with detergent, use Comet). Those pads clean the spyderco stones to like-new in seconds. No other fancy process needed or soaking needed. Much better than the synthetic pads.

Joe

GarageBoy said:
Scotch brite is like a fiberous sandpaper. Wont SOS clog it up with MORE metal?
It may seem like that but when you try it out it doesn't. Come to think of it why doesn't it?:confused:

I use the "Rust Eraser" like AG Russell sells. It works very quickly and creates eraser "crumbs" as residue. See here .

I wish you all would at least try the Bar Keeper's Friend cleanser at least once. The first time that I tried it I was really amazed. It honestly seems to lift out the metallic particles out of the ceramic. Also after the stones are clean they really abrade the metal really well after being cleaned with the BKF. I also have a soluable oil solution I make up to clean Arkansas stones. The scotch brite pads certainly are an aid. Small fine bristle brushes like toothbrushes really seem to do well. :)

Thank you all for the input. I hope I can find Bartenders Frend, I've not heard of it, until today.

The Forum Lurker said:
It may seem like that but when you try it out it doesn't. Come to think of it why doesn't it?:confused:

I dunno why. I've been making up pretend explanations for years! All I know is, it gets the stones quickly clean, without the use of any chemicals or solvents.