Sharpmaker Rod angle

I've got the sense the left rod (30º angle) is slightly different (greater) than the right angle rod on my Spyderco Sharpmaker. Not so much visually, but by the way the rod fits into the triangle hole, and by the friction of sharpening on the left side as compared to the right.

I realize this is an unscientific comparison and I'm being a bit OCD (the edges aren't too terribly noticeably different). Does anyone else have this experience with their Sharpmaker?

I'm going to compare to another tomorrow. Just curious. And I'm sure others will appreciate my unscientific "precision."

I have 3 Sharpmakers, all different ages. I've measured the rod angles with an angle cube. They aren't exactly 15 and 20 degrees, but they're close. The angles on mine are all just a bit over their intended angles, but only by a tenth to a quarter degree. I did notice, however, that the left and right rods on each Sharpmaker aren't off by the same amount. The left rod might be .15 degree over and the right rod might be .25 degree over.

I should also say that my Sharpmakers are all years old and heavily used. That may or may not make a difference in the rod angles at this point in their lives.

Mines slightly off, no idea how much though. But I have an eye for detail far exceeding most. Not a big deal it doesn't change performance in the slightest. My bigger annoyance is with the diamond rods being at a slightly different angle than the ceramic ones due to an extremely small size increase. I also have one diamond rod that won't fit in the right 15dps slot it has to go in the left.

Just checked with another, much newer, Sharpmaker. Nearly identical. So I'm not going to worry about it.

I don't have much concern that they match. I mostly worry about having a sufficiently low honing angle. I also don't think that I hold the blade vertical better than a degree or two. If I have much steel to remove I often only use one rod at a time and hone 50 strokes before switching sides. That lets me hold my angle very stiff. When honing on a single rod you can simply rotate the base and use the same rod and angle on the other side. It also lets me put something under the one end of the base and decrease the honing angle slightly.

Back