sharpmaker usage

Does anyone have pictures or a short video of how the Spyderco Sharpmaker works? I'm considering a purchase but I couldn't keep a consistant angle to save my life and I don't understand how the sharpmaker keeps the angle for you by looking at the pictures.

I need to see how its actually used so I can understand how it works.

Sorry I do not have any videos, but I will try to explain.

The base (black plastic piece which also serves as the container to hold all components) holds the alumia ceramic rods by triangular holes, which is at a preset angle. When the rods are inserted into the holes, the rods form a V. There are two sides to the Sharpmaker, one set at 40 deg and the other at 30 deg. You start at the heel of the blade then stroke it downward, VIRTICALLY (I think this may be why you may be confused) and toward you, as if you are cutting the rods (not using exessive pressure). You can set the stones in, in different ways (of which are not important to know now) which will affect the amount of material removed.

I think that's basically it.

bestknives_1812_2429069

Ok, found this. You start at the top of the rods (white stuff, black ones are too) then slice downwards towards the base, you hold down the base with the hand that doesn't have a knife behind the brass safety rods(the cover [the part that says SHARPMAKER] you can use to cover the base halfway and make like a handlie thing.

oh I got a question also that I've been wordering about for a while.

When you put everything inside, you put the whites on top? IDK so I've been just doing that. Is there a proper way to put them back that you can actually mess up?

One more thing, The sharpmaker is FOOLPROOF I was a little hesitant at first but got the hang of it after a few strokes (Easy right). Everyone here who has one can put a razor edge with almost no effort. Just get one and you'll definately be satisfied. Garrenteed! If not tell Sal...

well, that's pretty much the only picture of the sharpmaker I've found on the web. Is that setup the one that's used when sharpening? Or some kind of display setup to show off all the stuff you get?

I visualize placing the blade in the center of the "V" shape and running the blade through that area for sharpening. Problem is that the V looks too big with a large space in between to two stones.

I think my problem is I envision it working something like one of these systems where the rods intersect and create a fool-proof angle that you just run your blade through until its sharp.

eg21.jpg

mr_dove, when you buy a new Sharpmaker, it comes with a pamphlet and a video explaining how to use it. The video in particular is quite complete, and not only guides you through the knife sharpening process, it also shows how you can use the Sharpmaker for nailclippers, potato peelers, and scissors. I've used it for all of these: it's quick, easy, and effective.

Basically, you will be holding the knife vertically, thumb on the back of the handle & onto the blade, and stroke lightly down one rod of the V, drawing the blade from the ricasso (near the handle) to the tip. I like to use minimal pressure agains the rod, with the tip of the knife somewhat elevated.

Next, stroke down the other rod the same way, alternating sides thereafter as well. After twenty or so strokes, which the video will explain, you will probably have an improved edge. If you began with a knife in good shape, you will have a nicely sharp edge.

There is a bit more than this to learn, because the Sharpmaker can be used to put a 30 or a 40 degree angle on the secondary bevel, and you have medium and fine rods to use, and you have flats and edges on those triangular rods. All of this is important, but following the video and working simultaneously on some old paring knife, you should get the idea pretty quickly in practice.

You should also acquaint yourself with the BladeForums.com Knife FAQs, which include a section on sharpening.

underaged! said:
When you put everything inside, you put the whites on top? IDK so I've been just doing that. Is there a proper way to put them back that you can actually mess up?
Actually, I put the grays on top, but it doesn't matter. They're all the same size. You won't mess it up.

One more thing, The sharpmaker is FOOLPROOF
Whenever you make something foolproof, someone comes along with a better fool. :D

Just get one and you'll definately be satisfied. Garrenteed! If not tell Sal...
I agree. By the way, Sal is on the video. Sal is Sal Glesser, The Man at Spyderco, and he spends a lot of time on these forums. He is a great resource, so don't hesitate to ask him about any problems with the Sharpmaker or his knives. The best place to find him is on the Spyderco forum here.

Dove, that photo is everything you get when you get the Sharpmaker, sans video and instruction booklet. As Underaged said, you can put the cover on to extend the handle out a little if you want to, but I almost never do. As long as you can hold the knife so the blade is vertical consistently, the Sharpmaker does the rest.

I always put the dark stones on top too, but I don't think it matters at all.

Oh, and if you talk to Sal, tell him that people would like to be able to buy spare bases so that when they buy the diamond and ultra-fine stones, they have a place to put them.

You keep it all the way vertical til the tip? You accomodate for the belly by pointing the tip down? (like when you free hand, you have to lift the hand up?)

You do have to be careful with the tip, especially when using the edges rather than the flats. I have rounded off some tips, not being careful.

Garage, I try to do just that, but I don't know how much angling the blade like that matters, really.

Don't get crazy with the blade angle. I hold the knife in a saber grip with the tip slightly elevated because that's the most comfortable grip for me, so I can control the speed and pressure of the stroke more evenly for more strokes. More important is to develop a smooth, regular, even technique.

If you turn the base upside down, you will see two grooves in it. Lay two rods in the grooves, and you have a benchstone, with which you can manually sharpen the tip, rather than running it too close to the edges of the V.

Hi,

I was wondering how the lansky crock sticks compare to the sharpmaker? I have one and it seems to work pretty good but not really great. Maybe I just need to read the directions again but it seems pretty foolproof (although I may be the better fool Esav was talking about :D ) Just wondering if there were any opinions...Thanks!

201204.jpg

Mr Dove,

I see that you are in Denver. You could stop in at the Spyderco Factory Outlet in Wheat Ridge and I'm sure that if you asked, someone there would give you a demo on how the Sharpmaker is used.
The store is just off of the Youngfield exit of I-70, around the corner from the big liquor store "Applejack" between the two shoe stores. It's kind of hard to see from Youngfield, it's hidden from the street by the drive up bank.

Bruceter

Problem is that the V looks too big

OK, I think I understand what you are saying. In you yellow v sharpener (not the Spyderco) above, you sharpen both sides at once by putting the edge in the vertex of the angle of the rods.

On the sharpmaker you only sharpen one side at a time, and you are only concerned with the angle of a single edge against one rod, at a time. In this case since you're only doing on side at a time, the separation between the stones of the Spyderco are irellevant, they could be 2 inches or 10 feet.

It's not much different from using a benchstone to sharpen, that is one edge at a time.

The Sharpmaker is really super easy to use as the others have already said. I just keep mine setup on my computer desk, whenerver I feel a knife needs some sharpening I just give a few quick strokes and am done. In fact I am not real sure where I have the cover at the moment!

I would say just buy the thing, it is much easier to learn how to use it when you have it in your hands and watch the video. Sal does a great job explaining how to sharpen just about anything using it.

No no.....NO !!!!

Dark sticks on LEFT side and white on RIGHT side! Use caution and do not mix. Nix on mixed stix.

:eek:

Back